LaunchBox Community Forums

With new windows 10 update launch Box and big Box mood are considered viruses by windows 10

Bigreddog

A windows 10 update yesterday made launch Box in big Box mode for launch Box 8.9 come up as viruses, I try to backup data and reinstall the operating system only to wake up this morning to again have Microsoft security analysis's say that big Box and launch Box are viruses in will not run I'm happy I didn't pay for this as the guy I'm working on this for would have been highly pitched off with me

I spent the last week making sure everything is set up correctly and everything was running perfectly fine now this Microsoft update I can't even run big Box I can't even run launch Box I recommended you guys to hundreds of people now my recommendation is gonna be throwing in the trash and people arent gonna trust me and think I'm infected their computer because they are not smart enough to realize what the hell's going on you need to fix this immediately I'm not gonna be held responsible for a development bug or  developing team unable to fix the problem as I'm gonna get Blam for putting viruses on somebody's computer because stupid people don't know any better I've already lost enough this year can you please do something about this ASAP

15410763169859168079790881613545.jpg

1541076378748399456026592669574.jpg

15410764073171623491089275638857.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bigreddog said:

A windows 10 update yesterday made launch Box in big Box mode for launch Box 8.9 come up as viruses, I try to backup data and reinstall the operating system only to wake up this morning to again have Microsoft security analysis's say that big Box and launch Box are viruses in will not run I'm happy I didn't pay for this as the guy I'm working on this for would have been highly pitched off with me

I spent the last week making sure everything is set up correctly and everything was running perfectly fine now this Microsoft update I can't even run big Box I can't even run launch Box I recommended you guys to hundreds of people now my recommendation is gonna be throwing in the trash and people arent gonna trust me and think I'm infected their computer because they are not smart enough to realize what the hell's going on you need to fix this immediately I'm not gonna be held responsible for a development bug or  developing team unable to fix the problem as I'm gonna get Blam for putting viruses on somebody's computer because stupid people don't know any better I've already lost enough this year can you please do something about this ASAP

15410763169859168079790881613545.jpg

1541076378748399456026592669574.jpg

15410764073171623491089275638857.jpg

Whoa, slow down there fella. If Windows is flagging both 7zip.exe and Launchbox.exe as virus's then that is a Windows issue not ours. We dont control what definitions Microsoft uses obviously. I myself am using Windows 10, and i'm actually using the insider builds so my Windows 10 version is very new, and i don't get those warnings on my system, both Launchbox and 7zip work as expected here, with no flags from Windows defender at all.

Did you download the Launchbox setup file from our website?

Looks like i was correct, this is a virus that spreads to other .exe's hence why you are seeing it in relation to both Launchbox.exe and 7zip.exe. You have a virus you got from somewhere that is now infecting other files. There is certainly no virus threat at all from Launchbox, it is 100% safe. You have more serious issues here, as mentioned in the microsoft page i will link below, this is a virus that spreads to other .exe's when they are opened.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/malware-encyclopedia-description?Name=Virus:Win32/Neshta.A

31 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Looks like i was correct, this is a virus that spreads to other .exe's hence why you are seeing it in relation to both Launchbox.exe and 7zip.exe. You have a virus you got from somewhere that is now infecting other files. There is certainly no virus threat at all from Launchbox, it is 100% safe. You have more serious issues here, as mentioned in the microsoft page i will link below, this is a virus that spreads to other .exe's when they are opened.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/malware-encyclopedia-description?Name=Virus:Win32/Neshta.A

I knew the Neshta name sounded familiar when I saw it in the screenshot. I was using TeamViewer to help a guy fix a problem with HyperSpin about 5 years ago and he had the same virus, it was nasty. Every time he thought it was gone it would come back with a vengeance, did that 4-5 times.

It would infect pretty much any exe that was executed (HyperSpin, emulators, etc) and others that were just on that drive. So you definitely want to take care of that ASAP, OP.

Edited by Agent47
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Agent47 said:

I knew the Neshta name sounded familiar when I saw it in the screenshot. I was using TeamViewer to help a guy fix a problem with HyperSpin about 5 years ago and he had the same virus, it was nasty. Every time he thought it was gone it would come back with a vengeance, did that 4-5 times.

It would infect pretty much any exe that was executed (HyperSpin, emulators, etc) and others that were just on that drive. So you definitely want to take care of that ASAP, OP.

Yeah it sounds like a bad one. Certainly didn't originate from Launchbox that's for sure though. If the op is setting up PC's for other people then he really should be more carefull about what he downloads/installs to another persons PC.