LaunchBox Community Forums

delete unused mame roms?

leech_hunter

There is no easy way to do this and simply deleting files that are not imported will cause more problems because it will delete bios files such as the neogeo.zip and qsound.zip.

If you want a clean set your best bet is to download a Non-Merged set and hand pick the games you want. The Non-Merged set is "one file one game" so there are no dependencies at all.

4 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

There is no easy way to do this and simply deleting files that are not imported will cause more problems because it will delete bios files such as the neogeo.zip and qsound.zip.

If you want a clean set your best bet is to download a Non-Merged set and hand pick the games you want. The Non-Merged set is "one file one game" so there are no dependencies at all.

My Lauchbox journey started about a year ago.  Same story as today, I tried importing a MAME split rom set into Lauchbox and there used to the a box you could check that said something like.... 

[] Make a copy of the imported rom and put copy in Lauchbox Roms folder

[] Move imported rom into Lauchbox Roms folder

[]  Keep rom in existing location

I tried the first or second option(cant remember) but was figuring out it didn't move the bios files either.  It was my first time with anything MAME so I was in a world of confusion.

Then I found out about non-merged sets and decided to have a go with that but the option to "move imported rom into Lauchbox Roms folder" is now not an option!  If I used that option with the non-merged set, I could essentially have Lauchbox bring 120gigs of roms down to 15-20(i'm guessing).   I'd just delete the ones that didn't get moved and move on with my life.

THanks, 

5 minutes ago, leech_hunter said:

My Lauchbox journey started about a year ago.  Same story as today, I tried importing a MAME split rom set into Lauchbox and there used to the a box you could check that said something like.... 

[] Make a copy of the imported rom and put copy in Lauchbox Roms folder

[] Move imported rom into Lauchbox Roms folder

[]  Keep rom in existing location

I tried the first or second option(cant remember) but was figuring out it didn't move the bios files either.  It was my first time with anything MAME so I was in a world of confusion.

Then I found out about non-merged sets and decided to have a go with that but the option to "move imported rom into Lauchbox Roms folder" is now not an option!  If I used that option with the non-merged set, I could essentially have Lauchbox bring 120gigs of roms down to 15-20(i'm guessing).   I'd just delete the ones that didn't get moved and move on with my life.

THanks, 

It is still a option, just not in the new fullset mame importer, that is there for people who have and keep a full romset. You can still use the old method of a standard import, making sure to say MAME is the emulator so you get the same filters screen as the new importer. This will then ask you if you want to move the roms to the Launchbox folder that are imported. But as @Lordmonkus says above this will only work with a non-merged set,as the other two set types rely on files that are in other zips that may not be imported. Also you will need to tell MAME where the files have moved to after, or it obviously wont find them.