LaunchBox Community Forums

Proper Setup for LB/BB Testing separate from Production LB/BB

SubRetro

Question I am considering adding a 2nd drive to have a mirror copy of my LB/BB setup so I can run the beta code on it for testing so I don't risk breaking things on my primary production copy. Anyone have success in doing that or do you just backup your data up and then proceed with the update?

you can basically just copy your data folder put a date on the end of the name and that will backup all the information LB is using for your configuration. If you need to revert just overwrite your data folder with the backup. Also its pretty simple to roll back your builds by just going into your updates folder finding an old installer and reinstalling that over your current installation. I've been using beta builds since 2015 and I've never needed to revert but the ability is there and pretty simple to do if needed. I would suggest copying your data folder to another hard drive anyway as this makes it incredibly simple to restore your install in the case of a hard drive failure. It won't recover your ROMs or any related media but all that stuff is easy enough to get but your configuration of the program is something that would need to be completely redone if lost.

yeah most likely updating to betas shouldn't mess with your media but if you have the space you can always back up your image music manual and media folders also (when backing up your image folder you can skip any of the cache folders as they are only temporary and you really don't need them backed up