LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME set import help

lawdon85

Hi there,

I can't seem to get a single MAME rom to work and I can't think of anything else to try, so I'm hoping someone can help. Anything I try to load in launchbox or Mame64 has:

"the selected machine is missing one or more required ROM or CHD images..."  (this is shown in mame, launchbox just fails to load it)

Essentially I have:

- latest launchbox

- Mame 0.202

- a 50+ GB merged MAME 0.202 software list

For the life of me, I cannot get a single game to play. Even with the merged list having sub-folders within 'roms' both MAME64 and launchbox appear to recognise the games.

I've followed tutorials for importing a mame rom set, although the guy in the tutorial said he had a split set, he mentioned merged would work fine. all games show in launchobx just fine.

I have confirmed the following:

- MAME.ini does have the rom folder correct

- Launchbox imported with no errors, I selected 'world' as preferred region, and it got the boxart for my games fine.

- both MAME64 and software list is 0.202

I had read on a previous post that a merged set contains all the required BIOS and i could ignore the 0.202 (bios-devices) file. I've got the feeling I'm missing something silly here and do I actually need that file, if so, where does it go?

Cheers

mame.jpg

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Software list for MAME is not Arcade games, its old computer and console games. If you were expecting arcade games i'm afraid you got the wrong set.

Hi,

Im struggling to see the difference here. For example I can see all of the old neogeo stuff and regular arcade games that I would normally expect in a mame package. LAunchbix has found artwork and imported over 3600 with the software list being 50+ GB. When searching, I'm seeing all the arcade games I was expecting, so not sure what I'm missing here?

Just now, lawdon85 said:

Hi,

Im struggling to see the difference here. For example I can see all of the old neogeo stuff and regular arcade games that I would normally expect in a mame package. LAunchbix has found artwork and imported over 3600 with the software list being 50+ GB. When searching, I'm seeing all the arcade games I was expecting, so not sure what I'm missing here?

If you used the Tools/Import/MAME fullset importer then that actually doesnt check your roms, it assumes you have a fullset and adds the known working games to the platform. So it would grab images and such regardless, it may even work on a empty folder (although i havent tested that). Can you share a image of your MAME roms folder please.

If you used the Tools/Import/MAME fullset importer then that actually doesnt check your roms, it assumes you have a fullset and adds the known working games to the platform. So it would grab images and such regardless, it may even work on a empty folder (although i havent tested that). Can you share a image of your MAME roms folder please.

Sure,

I copied every folder within the "MAME_0.202_Software_List_ROMs_merged" folder into the MAME 'roms' folder. The 'can't find rom message' shows when I'm trying to run the directly in mame.

mame2.jpg

4 minutes ago, lawdon85 said:

Sure,

I copied every folder within the "MAME_0.202_Software_List_ROMs_merged" folder into the MAME 'roms' folder. The 'can't find rom message' shows when I'm trying to run the directly in mame.

mame2.jpg

Yeah as i thought, those are not Arcade games they are software list like you said. As i said in my first reply those are for old computer and console games, if you look you have folders for NES, Orion_cass etc. MAME Arcade roms are not named like that and are always zipped also, like this.

image.thumb.png.91553799a3d0aa95d61ae3f1d9883351.png

6 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah as i thought, those are not Arcade games they are software list like you said. As i said in my first reply those are for old computer and console games, if you look you have folders for NES, Orion_cass etc. MAME Arcade roms are not named like that and are always zipped also, like this.

image.thumb.png.91553799a3d0aa95d61ae3f1d9883351.png

Yeah that seemed to be the only difference between the tutorial and my set (yours and tutorial is using a split set) I thought my set was different as it was merged.

In the past I have always used just zip files. However, within this roms folder I have a neogeo one with all the games zipped up as normal and not a single one works (attached). I'm not exactly sire what this 50+GB file is for if I cant play anything from it

mame3.jpg

The software list pack is for old computers and consoles that work in MAME, they used to work in MESS but MESS and MAME were combined into one emulator. What you have will work if you care to set them up, but software lists are not currently supported for importing into launchbox, so getting them in is a pain, and each platform will need different specific commands to work correctly.

The Neo Geo roms may work OK, but you would also need the neogeo.zip bios file, so maybe thats missing as i cant recall if its included there or not, i want to say it isnt but im not 100% on that.

6 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

The software list pack is for old computers and consoles that work in MAME, they used to work in MESS but MESS and MAME were combined into one emulator. What you have will work if you care to set them up, but software lists are not currently supported for importing into launchbox, so getting them in is a pain, and each platform will need different specific commands to work correctly.

The Neo Geo roms may work OK, but you would also need the neogeo.zip bios file, so maybe thats missing as i cant recall if its included there or not, i want to say it isnt but im not 100% on that.

ok thankyou for all your help.

so essentially I've got the wrong file to what I was looking for. Without pushing the rules of the forum too far, I had:

Mame 0.202 software list (merged) at around 58gb

If I was to get 'mame 0.197 roms (merged)' which is 58.9GB is that the right path as it doesnt contain the words 'software list'?

Edited by neil9000
Removed link

3 minutes ago, lawdon85 said:

ok thankyou for all your help.

so essentially I've got the wrong file to what I was looking for. Without pushing the rules of the forum too far, I had:

Mame 0.202 software list (merged) at around 58gb

If I was to get 'mame 0.197 roms (merged)' which is 58.9GB is that the right path as it doesnt contain the words 'software list'?

Yes you want roms either Non-Merged, Merged or split will work fine in Launchbox. You do not want anything that has Software list in the name as thats not for arcade games its computers and consoles that work in MAME.

thankyou both.

one last question, I've found the file that I need (0.204 split), I'll also be updating to 0.204 MAME64 emu.

The original launchbox tutorial had me adding my mame folder into the Launchbox root. Can I just replace that folder with the updated MAME folder (0.204 and roms)?

Reason being is the cover art/emumovie part whilst importing the set took longer than the actual set download. can I assume it will all play nicely after replacing the mame folder, or is there some sort of cleanup option available/start everything from scratch. i did an import on a merged set and now ill have a proper split 0.204 mame arcade set

Edited by lawdon85

1 minute ago, lawdon85 said:

thankyou both.

one last question, I've found the file that I need, I'll also be updating to 0.204 MAME64 emu.

The original launchbox tutorial had me adding my mame folder into the Launchbox root. Can I just replace that folder with the updated MAME folder (0.204 and roms)?

Reason being is the cover art/emumovie part whilst importing the set took longer than the actual set download. can I assume it will all play nicely after replacing the mame folder, or is there some sort of cleanup option available/start everything from scratch

You can keep your roms where ever you like, just tell MAME were they are and of course Launchbox during the import wizard. Just re run the same importer and uncheck all the media downloads. That will just take a few minutes to import and all your media will re attatch after. 

You can keep your roms where ever you like, just tell MAME were they are and of course Launchbox during the import wizard. Just re run the same importer and uncheck all the media downloads. That will just take a few minutes to import and all your media will re attatch after. 

Wonderful! thankyou :)

• Like 1