LaunchBox Community Forums

705 arcade

PS1 games are in rar format. When trying to launch the game from launchbox even with the option selected in launchbox to decompress them just get the working icon then nothing happens. Emulator beetle hw and psx rearmed in retroarch tested working. Anything I should be looking into or tips.

Edited by 705 arcade

Go to tools manage emulators double click RetrArch. Go to the associated platforms tab and see what core is the default one for RA I believe it is the plain Mednafen core and not the HW so if you didn't change it that is probably your issue. To change it click in the column with the core name and that will initiate the drop down menu where you can choose your core.

LB/BB uses 7zip to extract files.  I know from experience that some rar files when extracted using 7zip will give an error message while extracting (something along the lines of extra information at the end of the file).  if your extracting manually you can just click ignore and the file actually decompresses fine, but with the automated LB/BB extraction it's possible that this error message is happening with those files, and causing it to not extract properly.  To test this you can install 7zip, or use the one that's in the LB folder to try and manually extract a rar file that's not working for you, and see if that error message/warning pops up... if it does then likely that's the culprit.  I would guess that if any error/warning happens during the extraction process that LB/BB doesn't have built-in mechanisms to ignore the error/warning and continue with the extraction process.

If this is what's causing you grief, a possible solution would be to extract your PS3 games that are in .rar format and re-compress them in either .zip or .7z format, which likely would not give you the error.  This is one of the reasons why .rar is not used very much now days, as it can be more prone to issues like this when using tools other than winrar.

Edited by CDBlue