LaunchBox Community Forums

curious why mame wont quit on C64 games

DannyShane

- I know its unrelated to LB - and im sorry. just curious if someone has a solution.

Mame works great for everything so far...  But i was messing around with C64 games today (file extension .80 from the mamae204 SL set).  mame will launch some of the games.  but the keys are not responding to mames keys.  i can figure out which keys move the character left , right etc, but none of mames function keys work.  like i cant "tab" or "esc" or anything. Im actually unable to even exit mame when im done. I have to use window key/tab to make a different window active and then navigate to taskbar to 'close mame window". 

its like mame is ignoring all key settings. 

i tried using retroarch instead but i dont think this file extension (.80) works in retroarch becaus ei just get the blue C64 screen and no game ever gets loaded. 

so, just curious if someone has messed with the mame SL commodore 64 roms and foudn out how to get it working in mame or any emulator.

thanks. 

4 minutes ago, Hayata said:

- I know its unrelated to LB - and im sorry. just curious if someone has a solution.

Mame works great for everything so far...  But i was messing around with C64 games today (file extension .80 from the mamae204 SL set).  mame will launch some of the games.  but the keys are not responding to mames keys.  i can figure out which keys move the character left , right etc, but none of mames function keys work.  like i cant "tab" or "esc" or anything. Im actually unable to even exit mame when im done. I have to use window key/tab to make a different window active and then navigate to taskbar to 'close mame window". 

its like mame is ignoring all key settings. 

i tried using retroarch instead but i dont think this file extension (.80) works in retroarch becaus ei just get the blue C64 screen and no game ever gets loaded. 

so, just curious if someone has messed with the mame SL commodore 64 roms and foudn out how to get it working in mame or any emulator.

thanks. 

MAME is ignoring you keys because C64 is a all in one with a keyboard, so your real life keyboard is mimicking the C64 keyboard. I think there are settings for this somewhere for computers like this in MAME, but i'm not sure where. I would recommend using a dedicated C64 emulator.

• Thanks 1