LaunchBox Community Forums

MAMEs working but not in LB

mattblue

Still somewhat new to this, but i have a number of games that came from the MAME 0.193 non merged set that will work if I launch them through native MAME, but if I launch them through LB a DOS window pops up and shows a bunch of stuff and then disappears before I can read it and then it goes back to the LB screen.  These are games like PacMan, Galaga and Zaxxon.  Can someone help me out  Very frustrated

Sorry I am using Mame through LB.  I have seen posts about using command lines for some ROMs. It can not figure out how to do that.  Do I download an older version of Mame as well?  Then do what,  I tried that and there was no executable in the Mame folders

I have two different ROM sets downloaded most of them are in .202 merged and I have another set that has other games that are in .0193 non merged. Please disregard the retroarch comment as that has nothing to do with this. LB is loading these directly through MAme

Just now, mattblue said:

I have two different ROM sets downloaded most of them are in .202 merged and I have another set that has other games that are in .0193 non merged. Please disregard the retroarch comment as that has nothing to do with this. LB is loading these directly through MAme

Are you mixing these two different romsets in Launchbox? What version of the MAME emulator are you using?

Just now, Lordmonkus said:

Ok. You have 2 different rom sets, this is where the problem is then.

You really should have 1 set only and work with it and you should use the version of Mame that matches your rom set. If you different versions you will start to run into rom incompatibility.

That would make sense then. How do I find the couple of games I am missing in right rom set version?

Just now, mattblue said:

I was mixing ROM sets in LB is that bad? I am using Mame64

Yes, the romsets are numbered for a reason, and you should use the same number version of the MAME emulator also. Games can work in one romset/MAME emu version but not in another, so a game may work in one version of MAME, but not in the next and vice versa. This is the whole reason the romset and the emulator are numbered, you should always match them.