LaunchBox Community Forums

Why does Big Box take so long to load?

vaderag

I have Big Box set up, all my images cached etc and am running on a fast machine, but even when I have Launchbox open it still takes 30seconds to one minute to load (and for all intents and purposes looks like it's doing nothing during that time...

By comparison, Hyperspin with all the same games takes 10 seconds?

At the very least is it possible to have a loading screen for Big Box while it's doing whatever it's doing in the background?

18 minutes ago, vaderag said:

I have Big Box set up, all my images cached etc and am running on a fast machine, but even when I have Launchbox open it still takes 30seconds to one minute to load (and for all intents and purposes looks like it's doing nothing during that time...

By comparison, Hyperspin with all the same games takes 10 seconds?

At the very least is it possible to have a loading screen for Big Box while it's doing whatever it's doing in the background?

Bigbox takes as long or as short a time to load depending on how many systems/playlists you have, the more you have the longer the load. My Bigbox with around 10,000 games and no playlists loads in around 5-10 seconds. You cant really compare it to how long hyperspin takes to load as they are built on completely different platforms and therefore have different assets to load. I suggest getting a startup video to cover the load, and there is a splashscreen when Bigbox is loading that can be toggled on/off in the Bigbox options.

Just now, neil9000 said:

Bigbox takes as long or as short a time to load depending on how many systems/playlists you have, the more you have the longer the load. My Bigbox with around 10,000 games and no playlists loads in around 5-10 seconds. You cant really compare it to how long hyperspin takes to load as they are built on completely different platforms and therefore have different assets to load. I suggest getting a startup video to cover the load, and there is a splashscreen when Bigbox is loading that can be toggled on/off in the Bigbox options.

Thanks - how do I set up a startup video to cover the load?

3 minutes ago, vaderag said:

Thanks - how do I set up a startup video to cover the load?

Download them from here,

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/category/7-big-box-startup-videos/

And place them in Launchbox/Videos/startup folder, if there isnt a startup folder there just create it, you can put as many videos as you like in this folder and Bigbox will play a random one each time.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Download them from here,

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/category/7-big-box-startup-videos/

And place them in Launchbox/Videos/startup folder, if there isnt a startup folder there just create it, you can put as many videos as you like in this folder and Bigbox will play a random one each time.

Thanks - I've just added a video and seems to work a treat, but it still takes 8-10 seconds from clicking the icon to even load the video... (and actually the video seems to finish before big box finishes loading, despite being 50 seconds long!