LaunchBox Community Forums

XB1 controller right stick not working in MAME

stevenmh

Generally speaking, I've got my XB1 controllers working fine in the games where I use them.  However, in a couple of the dual-joystick games, Robotron 2084 and Karate Champ, the right analog stick doesn't work correctly.  It has a constant input and as I rotate the stick, it only hits the diagonals, not the cardinal directions.  I've tried two different controllers.  This is on MAME .205.  I've hit TAB in game and double checked the inputs.  I'm not sure what else to try.  Has anyone else run into this and solved it?

If it seemed fine for you, then you're not having the problem.  You can't miss it.

Yes, my setup looks exactly like that.  What version are you running?

Found another guy with identical in game behavior with his controller, but his only does it with Retroarch and works fine in MAME itself.  He's on .177.

Edited by stevenmh

.206, but that part shouldn't matter.  ...until now that I just read your edit. lol

Not that it should make a difference, my controller is the 360 (vs One).

Just tried Robotron again and confirmed all's good here.  Was able to shoot all 8 directions.  And after playing it for more than just a few seconds this time had an "oh crap! I remember playing this game in the arcade!!  ..moment. :)  Sorry, no help here.

I remember having this problem at one point, but I can't remember exactly how I fixed it.  I'm pretty sure it only happened in retroarch with a mame core like the person you found.  I've since switched to using the standalone mame and not had any problems.

I'm assuming you're not running .206 via a retroarch core?  I'm running .201 personally fwiw.

• 9 months later...
On 2/12/2019 at 9:25 PM, stevenmh said:

Figured it out.  Joystick deadzone was set to 0.  Bumped it to 0.15 and it works fine now.  I appreciate everyone trying to help.

I set my deadzone to 0.1 and got rid of the auto fire issue. Though, it still only shoots at diagonals. Any ideas what is going on? Seems to only be an issue with the right analog stick games like Robotron and Black Widow.

I am trying to configure Retroarch MAME games on my Android phone (Xbox One controller). I do not have this issue with the "real" MAME198 on my PC/Windows.

Edited by ItchyRobot

• 1 year later...
On 11/17/2019 at 5:41 PM, ItchyRobot said:

I set my deadzone to 0.1 and got rid of the auto fire issue. Though, it still only shoots at diagonals. Any ideas what is going on? Seems to only be an issue with the right analog stick games like Robotron and Black Widow.

I am trying to configure Retroarch MAME games on my Android phone (Xbox One controller). I do not have this issue with the "real" MAME198 on my PC/Windows.

I am bumping my old post about Retroarch and right analog stick only shooting at diagonals... for games like Robotron... see above.
Now that Android development is up and going again, I am trying to get these two games working properly in Android/Retroarch. Any suggestions/tips?

Again, I am trying to get this to work on Android. It works fine in my Arcade build.

My guess is that I will need to start trying out different MAME cores for Retroarch. I am using 0.198 MAME roms with the most current Retroarch MAME core.

It seems to be a common question when I do a Google search.

Edited by ItchyRobot

On 8/29/2021 at 4:29 PM, ItchyRobot said:

I am bumping my old post about Retroarch and right analog stick only shooting at diagonals... for games like Robotron... see above.
Now that Android development is up and going again, I am trying to get these two games working properly in Android/Retroarch. Any suggestions/tips?

Again, I am trying to get this to work on Android. It works fine in my Arcade build.

My guess is that I will need to start trying out different MAME cores for Retroarch. I am using 0.198 MAME roms with the most current Retroarch MAME core.

It seems to be a common question when I do a Google search.

After a little bit of more trial and error I figured it out. To get games like Black Widow and Robotron to work currently in Android Retroarch, I had to download the MAME 2003 Plus core. Now my right stick will shoot in all eight directions.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/12/2019 at 5:15 PM, JoeViking245 said:

Just tested those 2 games and it seems like it worked fine.  On your input selections for the game, is it showing [for right joystick] "Joy 1 RSY -" (etc..) like this?:image.thumb.png.435cf052c63cedc9fbf76136b563140e.png 

Have you tried the game KRULL? In the second level. If I set the buttons to fire, they fire correctly up, down, left and right, and if I press two buttons together they fire correctly diagonally. However, I would like to set the fire on the right analogue stick of the xbox360 controller, I set it exactly as you do but it only shoots diagonally. Basically it should be an 8-way joystick, but instead it only does 4 directions diagonally. It doesn't shoot straight, how can I solve this problem?

For example if I move UP, it shoots UP/RIGHT instead it should shoot UP 😓

13 hours ago, Sbaby said:

I would like to set the fire on the right analogue stick of the xbox360 controller

Using the default input settings, it's throwing ('shooting') correctly in all 8 directions for me.

If moving UP (Left stick Up) and throwing RIGHT (Right stick Right), it throws to the right.

If moving UP (Left stick Up) and throwing UP/RIGHT (Right stick Up-Right), it throws to the upper-right.

If moving UP (Left stick Up) and throwing UP (Right stick Up), it throws up.

etc.

image.thumb.png.2df05b53b900324d9f5b6bfd339ab0bd.png

Just make sure you're being deliberate with your right stick movements. i.e. Make sure you're moving the stick straight UP and not slightly to the right of UP.

46 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Using the default input settings, it's throwing ('shooting') correctly in all 8 directions for me.

If moving UP (Left stick Up) and throwing RIGHT (Right stick Right), it throws to the right.

If moving UP (Left stick Up) and throwing UP/RIGHT (Right stick Up-Right), it throws to the upper-right.

If moving UP (Left stick Up) and throwing UP (Right stick Up), it throws up.

etc.

image.thumb.png.2df05b53b900324d9f5b6bfd339ab0bd.png

Just make sure you're being deliberate with your right stick movements. i.e. Make sure you're moving the stick straight UP and not slightly to the right of UP.

I have exactly the same settings as yours but to me straight doesn't throws

WORKS If moving UP (Left stick Up) and throwing UP/RIGHT (Right stick Up-Right), it throws to the upper-right.

NOT WORK : If moving UP (Left stick Up) and throwing UP (Right stick Up), it throws up.

I'm using ps4 controller with DS4 Windows, but I just tried it with an original XBOX360 controller, even with the latter it doesn't shoot anything, not even diagonally.

I assure that the joypads work fine with every game

why is all this happening to me? 

😵‍💫 😵‍💫 😵‍💫 😵‍💫 😵‍💫 😵‍💫 😵‍💫 😵‍💫 😵‍💫 😵‍💫 😵‍💫

Edited by Sbaby

11 minutes ago, Sbaby said:

I just tried it with an original XBOX360 controller, even with the latter it doesn't shoot anything, not even diagonally.

That's what I'm using too.  The only thing I can think of is: when using this controller, after loading KRULL, press TAB and verify that Input settings for P1 RIGHT STICK/xx are set like what's in the above screenshot.  If the right-stick is still not throwing, at all, manually set (reset) those 4 directions to the right joystick.

If after manually setting it and it still doesn't throw, then I really don't know why this is happening to you.

As for PS controllers, I don't touch the stuff.  So can't help there.

6 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

That's what I'm using too.  The only thing I can think of is: when using this controller, after loading KRULL, press TAB and verify that Input settings for P1 RIGHT STICK/xx are set like what's in the above screenshot.  If the right-stick is still not throwing, at all, manually set (reset) those 4 directions to the right joystick.

If after manually setting it and it still doesn't throw, then I really don't know why this is happening to you.

As for PS controllers, I don't touch the stuff.  So can't help there.

it seems that the problem is my version of mame which is stuck at 0.235, I tried Krull with the latest version 0.261 and I have no problems, everything works normally.

For the time being I'll only use this version with Krull, it's too annoying to do the total mame update 💥

• Game On 1