LaunchBox Community Forums

Trouble with MAME

Ctholin

Hi everyone

I've searched the forums and the web but i think i might need some specific LB help - im assuming i have things config'd wrong

I am trying to run MAME games both through LB via Retroarch and just pointing directly at the mame.exe to no avail.  Nothing happens when i select play, i almost instantly just have normal command of the LB interface again.

• The romset i am using was in a package with MAME .133u3.  The exe for this actually sucks, it only displays like 10 games and gives me their bios info and its often not clear which game im choosing.  Thats a side story, however in this case Knights of the Round DOES work through this exe.
  • Similarly - via retroarch directly using latest mame, i can also run this rom fine.
  • However, LB does NOT run this properly either through RA-MAME or the standalone mame exe

I'll attach some screens of my setup via the standalone mame 133 exe

(edited for clarity)

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Edited by Ctholin

The first issue I see in your screenshots is in your Edit Emulator window for Mame, you have none of the boxes checked when it needs 2 of them checked.screenshot_108.thumb.jpg.a3942eea9b6105e1001f8d45c9b5dee0.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ctholin said:

Another screen of my RetroArch settings - Associated Platforms.  How come there is no Arcade listed here?

Not sure why there isn't one but it's easy to add one, just go the bottom of the bottom of the list and click in an empty line, type in Arcade in the first column and then select the core you want to use in the 2nd using the dropdown menu.

@Lordmonkus

I believe it wasn't there because the very first thing i did was import a "full mame set" which i regretted and tried to undo.  I've gone ahead and added it to the bottom of the list which will overwrite the default status of the standalone mame but i guess i can spot point to that one when needed.

(Putting this herein case it helps others.  Testing your suggestions now). 

Update:

I made the changes you suggested and tried to run the ROM.  It was different, but still didnt run successfully.  This time it launched RetroArch UI/shell, i got some spinning loading icons on my mouse pointer, and then it just closed RA and i was back at the LB UI.  Similarly, the standalone exe failed as well.

As a test, i went into RA itself and launched the ROM and it WORKED.  It didnt crap out of the RA UI.

Is there anything else i can provide?

Edited by Ctholin
clarity

Add "--menu --verbose >> retroarch.log 2>&1" to the command line parameter of Retroarch and run the game again from LB. It will generate a retroarch.log file in your retroarch directory. The log file might tell you what's wrong.

https://docs.libretro.com/guides/generating-retroarch-logs/

Also check, if the platform on which you have imported your mame roms is maintained under the associated platforms and is poiting to the right Retroarch core. For me the Platform is called Arcade, so my setting looks like this:

Desktop Screenshot 2019.02.24 - 19.41.17.95.png

Edited by lordrolee

If it is running in RA directly and not in Launchbox you definitely have something set wrong inside Launchbox. Same with Mame which I believe you said the rom works directly in Mame. It is more than likely a setting to add/fix in Launchbox. The fact it is running directly in the emulators means we can eliminate that piece. 

Please post pics of the Associated platforms tab of both Retroarch and Mame. Make sure you are scrolling down to show the Arcade listing in the associated tab. 

6 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

If it is running in RA directly and not in Launchbox you definitely have something set wrong inside Launchbox. Same with Mame which I believe you said the rom works directly in Mame. 

Please post pics of the Associated platforms tab of both Retroarch and Mame. Make sure you are scrolling down to show the Arcade listing in the associated tab. 

image.thumb.png.69d065817f03a143f208ab4a5bb21ff5.pngI actually removed the standalone mame from LB to both simplify and because everything i need runs in RA so i will solve 1 thing at a time.  I tried the log but so far it hasnt actually produced one.  Going to keep trying.

You have 2 Arcade platforms "Arcade" and "Arcade 2". What platform is the games actually imported under in Launchbox. The Associate Platform name must match exactly the name of the platform you imported the games into Launchbox under. I see you have "default emulator" checked for Arcade so I just want to make sure. 

Also when you run the game directly in Retroarch what core is it actually working with? 

I assume you mean this, if so, they are set to Arcade.  Nothing is set to Arcade 2, i was just seeing if that was a good methond for some Arcade roms to launch with a different core

All my tests are running with mame_libretro.dll when using RA

image.thumb.png.0bb134ee765807834763b8fd855a2071.png

Edited by Ctholin
jeez, proof read why dont i

Another observation

If i select Play from the popup menu i see a little window open and close almost instantly (almost like a cmd window?).  If I choose Open With -> RetroArch -> mame_libretro, the RetroArch UI widget launches before crashing.

By comparison, when i run straight through RA this same RA UI appears, disappears, and reappears as its loading the game, which eventually works.

Derp:

The crossed out section was a result of me putting command line params in the specific ROM itself.  Removing those makes the behavior match the un-crossed out text.

Edited by Ctholin

OK, and now that you removed standalone mame did you change the games to use Retroarch?

In your first posted pics when you showed and edit screen for Knights of the Round you have that game using Mame. Did you change the games to Retroarch? Even though you have it set as default in the emulator settings you still need to change the emulator for the game since you had it set to Mame. 

Right click a game and go to the emulation tab and make sure it is set to Retroarch then launch that same game and test if it works.

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

OK, and now that you removed standalone mame did you change the games to use Retroarch?

In your first posted pics when you showed and edit screen for Knights of the Round you have that game using Mame. Did you change the games to Retroarch? Even though you have it set as default in the emulator settings you still need to change the emulator for the game since you had it set to Mame. 

Right click a game and go to the emulation tab and make sure it is set to Retroarch then launch that same game and test if it works.

Yes, everything is pointing to RA now.

Also, i have still yet to generate a log file using the instructions above.

20 hours ago, Ctholin said:

Are there any settings in RA itself that have an impact on launching externally?

It is possible. Though I am not to skilled in the area of RA settings to troubleshoot what might be the cause if a setting in RA could cause issues. Hopefully one of our more seasoned and RA minded members or mods will chime in. 

2 hours ago, Retro808 said:

It is possible. Though I am not to skilled in the area of RA settings to troubleshoot what might be the cause if a setting in RA could cause issues. Hopefully one of our more seasoned and RA minded members or mods will chime in. 

I'd love to solve this, but in an effort not to waste anyone's time any further, I should say that I gave up and grabbed a .78 full set standalone and this is working completely fine for me.

Thanks for the help non the less