LaunchBox Community Forums

Integrate Vmware or virtualbox in LB

Teusan

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I don't use VirtualBox or Vmware. I use PCem for Windows 95 stuff and DOSBox Daum for 3.1 stuff. PCem supports emulated video acceleration up to a Voodoo 2, so it's good for games.

In PCem (or really any environment) you basically just set your game up in your 95 environment and then add the game to the Windows startup folder, so that it'll launch on boot. Then I make a .bat that tells PCem to start directly into a specific config:

PCem.exe --config ".\configs\Windows 95.cfg" --fullscreen

Then I add the .bat to LB and voila. It boots into Windows 95 and then directly into the game.

For 3.1 stuff, as I said I use DOSBox Daum. You can add a game to the Windows 3.1 WIN.INI file in the Windows folder, by adding it into the run= field:

image.png.43a297aefd83149fd8472f4a1b4f64a0.pngThis is essentially the same thing as adding something to the startup folder in Windows 95. DOSBox starts, 3.1 boots, and as soon as it boots it goes straight into the game.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hi, 

Thanks Zombeaver for the input.  I did not go with your suggestion. For Aliens extermination I only have a virtualbox image with Windows Xp and the game installed on it. 

Since we all have to stay home, I came back to give it another try. I managed to do it. 

First I went into Virtualbox manager, I selected my virtual machine, right-clicked on it and created a shortcut on desktop. 

I put that shortcut in a dedicated folder for emulators and roms. 

I added the game in my wanted platform, then in game properties :

- in launcher, application path, choose the shortcut file. If wanted, add --fullscreen command line

- in emulation, untick "use emulator for this game"

I'm not sure for the option names because I am using these applications in French.  

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Yes, each game is setup with its own instance of Windows 95/98. The game is then added to the startup folder so that it starts on launch. They can be started and imported into Launchbox like any other Windows game.

There are multiple examples of this on my site. Just search through the Index for any games that use PCem.

https://www.zombs-lair.com/

• 6 months later...
On 3/15/2019 at 10:42 PM, Zombeaver said:

Personally, I don't use VirtualBox or Vmware. I use PCem for Windows 95 stuff and DOSBox Daum for 3.1 stuff. PCem supports emulated video acceleration up to a Voodoo 2, so it's good for games.

In PCem (or really any environment) you basically just set your game up in your 95 environment and then add the game to the Windows startup folder, so that it'll launch on boot. Then I make a .bat that tells PCem to start directly into a specific config:

PCem.exe --config ".\configs\Windows 95.cfg" --fullscreen

Then I add the .bat to LB and voila. It boots into Windows 95 and then directly into the game.

For 3.1 stuff, as I said I use DOSBox Daum. You can add a game to the Windows 3.1 WIN.INI file in the Windows folder, by adding it into the run= field:

image.png.43a297aefd83149fd8472f4a1b4f64a0.pngThis is essentially the same thing as adding something to the startup folder in Windows 95. DOSBox starts, 3.1 boots, and as soon as it boots it goes straight into the game.

Hey thanks for this, amazing work you do!

Would that mean having a seperate image for each windows 95 with startup folder game or is there a way of using configs?

If multiple windows 95 images need to be used, is there a small 95 image or a way of making one?

Thanks dude!