LaunchBox Community Forums

[Request] Implement Freesync-esque feature to get rid of screen tearing without using VSync (which adds input lag)

Hamburglin

Well all should know by now that VSync adds terrible input lag. Usually about the same or more delay than a newer TV causes these days. I notice the input delay in adventure games with tight jumping the most, such as super mario world 1 and 2. It's maddening

Therefore, I play with VSync off. Well guess what, we all probably know that no VSync causes screen tearing by now.

Suggestion to achieve the low input delay of no VSync while fixing the screen tearing: take advantage of freeync technology. I'd suggest gsync, but I believe that is proprietary. Freesync syncs your gpu to the monitor's/tv's display so that the frames always line up and there is no tearing (by two halves of different frames being drawn the on the tv's frame which causes tearing).

6 hours ago, Hamburglin said:

Ah ok didn't know that. So even if the emulator is only using the cpu, there shouldn't be any reason it's not also using freesync or gsync?

As long as your Gsync/Freesync monitor is plugged into your Gsync/Freesync capable GPU then its the GPU that is pushing the image to the display, not your CPU.