LaunchBox Community Forums

Can the startup screens play sounds / wave files?

FlightRisk

• 2 weeks later...

Would this work? Is my path correct for Launchbox relative paths? I am on "C:\Arcade\Launchbox..." I created a subfolder under startupthemes called sounds. Where do I put it and do I need any other code? I have an mp3, but could convert it to anything.

<MediaElement Name="loadingsound" Source="pack://siteoforigin:,,,/StartupThemes/Sounds/loadingsound.mp3" LoadedBehavior="Play"/> 

Well an update. I can't use "sounds" or any folder under "StartupThemes" or it things it is a theme folder and displays it in the "options" settings. So I moved it to the "default" startup theme folder, but that won't work either because the default is re-written by Launchbox, so you can't modify the default startup theme. I moved it to my own them and it doesn't work.

Edited by FlightRisk

Ok, had a typo, the code works. I changed it a little. But I need a way to delay the start of the sound. Here is what I did 

1. copy the entire default startup theme folder into another folder called "Sounder" (can't modify the default theme)

2, Put my mp3 files in the folder with "default.xaml"

3. Edited "default.xml" by putting this in the code near the bottom after the last </grid> element:

<MediaElement Name="loadingsound" Source="pack://siteoforigin:,,,/StartupThemes/Sounder/LoadingStart.mp3" LoadedBehavior="Play"/> 

I hope to find a way to know then loading is finished to say "loading complete" as well. 

11 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

I hope to find a way to know then loading is finished to say "loading complete" as well. 

Currently this is not possible. I was having issues with audio from video for a startup theme I am making leaking into the emulator for a couple seconds. Jason mentioned this is a problem with exclusive fullscreen and emulators. The startups cannot tell exactly when the emulator takes over. RocketLauncher, if I remember correctly, uses some odd hacks to achieve what it does and I think Jason did not want to hack & slash startups just to get them to work. Do not quote me on that, but I believe that was the gist of it. 

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but hoping it wasn't true. You are right about the exclusive full screen mode. RL runs them in a windowed mode and puts settings in the AHK files for each emulator, I think, to do this as well as fades. More complicated than Jason wants to take on for LB. Oh well, "loading" and then "unloading" on the shutdown screen, if that will work, should suffice.