LaunchBox Community Forums

Moving games and files from 1 HDD to another

BMC_War Machine

Hi Fellas.  I've got a question for everyone.  I recently bought a Dell 3010 SFF and about a week ago picked up a GeForce GT1030 to go with it.  GREAT combo for what i'm doing!  But the only downside is that i've ran out of space on the pre-installed HDD (only 300 GB).  So i have an HP 15t-N200 laying around that has a 1 TB drive that i was able to jump from the Dell's extra SATA + the SATA jumper going to the DVD drive, it's working just fine.  I'm putting all my roms on this new drive.  This may end up being only a band-aid until i pick up another internal HDD, but i couldn't pass up a functioning 1TB drive laying around lol.  The problem i "see" coming will be that all my imported content into Launchbox/BigBox will be linked to the previous location.  How would i go about, if any way, of pointing LB/BB to pick the games from the new drive?

TLDR; / How can i transfer game files that are already assigned and scraped from 1 HDD to another HDD WITHOUT having to import everything into Launchbox/BigBox again?

5 minutes ago, BMC_War Machine said:

Hi Fellas.  I've got a question for everyone.  I recently bought a Dell 3010 SFF and about a week ago picked up a GeForce GT1030 to go with it.  GREAT combo for what i'm doing!  But the only downside is that i've ran out of space on the pre-installed HDD (only 300 GB).  So i have an HP 15t-N200 laying around that has a 1 TB drive that i was able to jump from the Dell's extra SATA + the SATA jumper going to the DVD drive, it's working just fine.  I'm putting all my roms on this new drive.  This may end up being only a band-aid until i pick up another internal HDD, but i couldn't pass up a functioning 1TB drive laying around lol.  The problem i "see" coming will be that all my imported content into Launchbox/BigBox will be linked to the previous location.  How would i go about, if any way, of pointing LB/BB to pick the games from the new drive?

TLDR; / How can i transfer game files that are already assigned and scraped from 1 HDD to another HDD WITHOUT having to import everything into Launchbox/BigBox again?

This is actually very straight forward. Just move your entire Games folder to the new drive. Then you need to tell Launchbox the new location, this needs to be done on a per platform basis. Click a game in a platform then use CTRL A to highlite them all in that platform, then go to tools/change rom folder paths for selected games, and just point it at the new location, repeat for all platforms in your library.