LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch unplayable with BigBox

sirleirbag

Hi everyone, i have a really weird issue with Retroarch. I have Nes, Snes, Genesis, GBA and some Mame and Cps games running with retroarch, the rest with standalone emulators, epsxe(ps1), project64(n64), ppssspp(psp)... 

Now, to the issue... If i open any game from launchbox, it runs just fine from retroarch, any of the platforms mentioned.

BUT... If i open BigBox, at any time... Retroarch will stop loading games properly... I mean... Even with BigBox closed and even with the same games with the same cores... If i dont open BigBox, they run just fine at proper speed, if not... I have to reboot and dont open BigBox at any time.

The games loads and the  it will run like... At 1fps, i mean... I have to let the screen open like a looooong time to even see the start screen of any game, any platform.

If i press F1 to go to the menu of retroarch... It takes a few seconds and runs just fine the menu... But if i return to the game... Still same issue...

Recomendations? Thoughts? Something? I just have everything running and very nicely decorated to my little brother first arcade machine...

P_20190409_192946_vHDR_Auto.jpg

10 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

What kind of hardware do you have in that little bartop ?

Atom Dual core 2.4ghz, 4gb ram ddr3, screen resoltion 1024x600, joystick is a transformed keyboard and the 2nd joystick is a snes replica usb. But i seriously doubt is a hardware issue, i can run redream with no issues... Retroarch should run excellent!

2 minutes ago, sirleirbag said:

Retroarch should run excellent!

Yes and from what you posted it does run well outside of through BigBox but with BigBox you are really pushing that hardware hard. You didn't mention any graphics card so I will assume you are using on board video, either Intel or AMD and that has to share the ram as vram. With BigBox loaded and running in the background when an emulator is running there just isn't enough system resources left for the emulation.

3 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Yes and from what you posted it does run well outside of through BigBox but with BigBox you are really pushing that hardware hard. You didn't mention any graphics card so I will assume you are using on board video, either Intel or AMD and that has to share the ram as vram. With BigBox loaded and running in the background when an emulator is running there just isn't enough system resources left for the emulation.

i will say again... i can run epsxe and redream from bigbox and it runs just fine... so, it's not a resources problem... even after i close bigbox, retroarch wouldn't work again fine until reboot... that's not a hardware or resources issue... it's some problem with bigbox with retroarch only... 

Not to mention, that Windows is also running in the background and likely using more ram than anything else. What sort of storage are you using? as that could also be a bottleneck with all the loading of images and such Bigbox does, then retroarch and its UI, then the actual core as well as windows, there is a lot of reads/writes happening there.

8 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Maybe it's a library or somethin that BigBox and Retroarch use in common... somebody should know if there's something that they both use that could cause this...

2 minutes ago, sirleirbag said:

i will say again... i can run epsxe and redream from bigbox and it runs just fine... so, it's not a resources problem

Depending on the retroarch cores you are using some of them can be harder to run than redream or epcsxe, it depends on the emulator how much cpu it needs, not on how old the actual systems they emulate are.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Not to mention, that Windows is also running in the background and likely using more ram than anything else. What sort of storage are you using? as that could also be a bottleneck with all the loading of images and such Bigbox does, then retroarch and its UI, then the actual core as well as windows, there is a lot of reads/writes happening there.

yeah, i am monitoring that but storage is a 240gb pny ssd and works just fine... and i disable any windows service that's not necesary, like update, antivirus, it's W10 BTW... but why the problem persists after closing Bigbox and works everything ok after launching it before reboot... it's weeeeeeeeeeird!

5 minutes ago, sirleirbag said:

i will say again... i can run epsxe and redream from bigbox and it runs just fine... so, it's not a resources problem... even after i close bigbox, retroarch wouldn't work again fine until reboot... that's not a hardware or resources issue... it's some problem with bigbox with retroarch only... 

And I will say again, BigBox is running in the background while your emulator is running which takes up resources and while your hardware is capable of running said emulators, it cannot run those emulators while BigBox resides in the background.

1 minute ago, sirleirbag said:

yeah, i am monitoring that but storage is a 240gb pny ssd and works just fine... and i disable any windows service that's not necesary, like update, antivirus, it's W10 BTW... but why the problem persists after closing Bigbox and works everything ok after launching it before reboot... it's weeeeeeeeeeird!

I would guess because it has run out of ram, and a reboot clears that.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Depending on the retroarch cores you are using some of them can be harder to run than redream or epcsxe, it depends on the emulator how much cpu it needs, not on how old the actual systems they emulate are.

the cores are a loooooot, i tryed almost everyone and for nes, snes, sega (all) gba... they are a very low resource depending compared with Redream or even Dolphin... i can run some GC games, not all but some... it cant be a performance issue, it must be some error...

1 minute ago, Lordmonkus said:

And I will say again, BigBox is running in the background while your emulator is running which takes up resources and while your hardware is capable of running said emulators, it cannot run those emulators while BigBox resides in the background.

no man, you are not understanding... I CLOSE BIGBOX... CLOSE IT... FOR GOOD... and run the games from retroarch and they do the same thing... they dont work properly... but if i reboot without launching bigbox they run fine... WHY!!!!!???? it's not in the background... (i checked, a lot!)

Just now, neil9000 said:

Also what version of Bigbox/Launchbox are you running?

9.5 i ended the "build" just 10 days ago and didn't see the point in update, cos i try every game from launchbox and they run fine, i even try the most powerful platforms from bigbox to not have any issue, didnt imagine that retroarch with really low end platforms will fail... from launchbox they run just fine, i cleaned everything even deleting any not working rom and left almost all with snap videos, it a super clean system cos i did it from scratch... this i driving me nuts!

3 minutes ago, sirleirbag said:

That was my first guess... but no... i have half ram clean when i close bigbox, and even in that scenario, they still not work!

Well the fact that you say it still happens even after you close Bigbox leads me to believe its something else on your system, if Bigbox is closed, then it's closed and not using any resources.

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Well the fact that you say it still happens even after you close Bigbox leads me to believe its something else on your system, if Bigbox is closed, then it's closed and not using any resources.

yeah, i know that's not the application in fact... it's something that the aplication uses that's cleaned up after reboot... what could it be? what bigbox and retroarch use in common?