LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch Netplay Issue

NinjaBurg3r

My cousin and I are attempting to get netplay working in RetroArch through LaunchBox.  However, when I right-click on a game (in this instance, Sunset Riders on SNES using the SNES9x core) and select "RetroArch Netplay", I'm having a problem.  After inputting my nickname and clicking OK, nothing happens.  LaunchBox is acting like it is not even registering anything when I click OK.  LaunchBox works perfectly fine with RetroArch for all other aspects except for the netplay launching feature.  Is there something I am missing or doing wrong?  I've combed through all the options and can't find a reference for netplay functionality within LaunchBox.

We are both using the latest stable RetroArch, 1.7.6, but upgraded to the latest nightly through the "Stellar" updater from these forums in an attempt to suss out the issue.  All of our cores are fully updated and we are both using the exact same ROM file.  As the host I have also verified that the port required by RetroArch is open.  

I've read the RetroArch netplay FAQ and watched the tutorial videos form Unbroken Software and ETA Prime on YouTube.  In these videos, it appears dead-simple to host/connect through LaunchBox, but it simply is not working for either of us.

I've been a premium user of LB for a while now and absolutely adore this program and consider myself pretty well-versed with it, but utilizing netplay is something he and I both are trying to work through for the first time together.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Netplay is very wonky at best, I have done it with a friend of mine on a few occasions and it's always a crapshoot if it will work and how well it works. One day it will work great and then the next day with nothing changed it won't work with the exact same core and game, meanwhile a different game and core will work.

1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

Netplay is very wonky at best, I have done it with a friend of mine on a few occasions and it's always a crapshoot if it will work and how well it works. One day it will work great and then the next day with nothing changed it won't work with the exact same core and game, meanwhile a different game and core will work.

Have you had any success initiating it through LB?  After a lot of trial-and-error, we are finally able to actually connect to one another, but we have to do it through RetroArch.  The right-click netplay menu item in LB simply does not work for either of us.  I thought it may have something to do with our directories not being scanned within RetroArch (since we both use LB exclusively for game organization), so I went ahead and did that and still no dice.  Not sure if it matters, but we are having to connect to one another using the relay server option. 

I'd love to hear if anyone with AT&T internet has tried the direct connect method and had success.  My cousin is on Comcast and he has no issue, but AT&T does not have that port open.  No biggie (or so I thought), I'll just open it and be good to go.  Unfortunately, RetroArch keeps telling me that it failed to map the port.  If I test the port status online, it shows as closed but opens whenever I initiate netplay and RetroArch will not connect afterward, even though the port is showing as open in my web browser.

Yeah, I have had it work with my friend and with ETA Prime when he was testing for his video guide.

But like I said netplay with RA is very much a hit and miss thing, to ensure the best chance of success you should have the exact same version of RA, exact same core and rom and even then there can be issues. I know I have never been able to host because of something in my modem not allowing people to connect to me.

I do love the idea of netplay via RA but it's so troublesome to work, like I said above, one day it will work great and then the next day with zero changes it just doesn't want to work, it feels like a coin toss.

• 2 years later...

Same problem here:

grafik.png.3de90bf7e94c14bcaf7ceb9953af0068.png

"No games were found in your collection that match the ROM file for this session. To connect you will need the exact same ROM file.

Also make sure that the import was made in the correct platform that matches the core in the RetroArch emulator list. "

We are two friends with the same Launchbox Premium Version (12.6), same RetroArch-Version (1.9.14), same ROM, same Core.

Running Netplay exclusively through RetroArch (without Launchbox involved) runs with no issues at all.

Running Netplay via RetroArch (PC) and Batocera (RaspPi) runs also with no issues.

Running Netplay through Launchbox is only working when someone hosts the game via Launchbox and the other person joins through Retroarch or Batocera.

Joining Netplay through Launchbox ist not working at all, it tells us that we are using the wrong ROM-File (which is not true).

How is this possible?

Edited by PITAparta
Additional info