LaunchBox Community Forums

Anyone use a N64 controller with m64p (Mupen64Plus + GLideN64)?

Avenger

From what I have read and seen 3rd party USB N64 controllers are pretty bad compared to originals. If you care about quality controls I would either look for a good condition original or look into the RetroFighters N64 controller, it's gotten good reviews among the retro gaming community. https://retrofighters.com/

The Raphnet adapters are very good and low lag.

31 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

From what I have read and seen 3rd party USB N64 controllers are pretty bad compared to originals. If you care about quality controls I would either look for a good condition original or look into the RetroFighters N64 controller, it's gotten good reviews among the retro gaming community. https://retrofighters.com/

The Raphnet adapters are very good and low lag.

I’ll take a look at the retrofighters one but I think they are on backorder.  The Hori mini (from back then) is also praised but goes for a lot of money now.  With a raphnet adapter, is it basically plug and play with m64p?  No complicated configuration or anything, right?  The N64’s control scheme is weird to say the least.

Edited by Avenger

2 minutes ago, Avenger said:

With a raphnet adapter, is it basically plug and play with m64p?

No clue because I have never used one myself but supposedly they are just plug and play, I would imagine there would be some setup in the emulator to map your controls like with any controller and emulator.

30 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

No clue because I have never used one myself but supposedly they are just plug and play, I would imagine there would be some setup in the emulator to map your controls like with any controller and emulator.

I went ahead an ordered a raphnet adapter.  By the time it comes, I’ll see if the retro fighter controller next batch is available.   They come from Canada so it takes some time.

9 hours ago, roy1975 said:

I have an original N64 controller with a USB adapter. It's been a while since I tried but I couldn't get any emulator besides Project 64 to recognize it. Was very irritating.

Do you remember which adapter it was?  Mayflash?

1 hour ago, Avenger said:

Do you remember which adapter it was?  Mayflash?

Yes, Mayflash. I just plugged it in and booted up a couple of games and it actually does recognize the controller but with a pretty major problem, which is that the analog stick is really messed up. The analog controls are inverted no matter how I configure them and it seems to have issues with the range (Mario runs left but can only walk right, for instance).

Edit: Actually, I just tried something else - only pushing the stick halfway instead of all the way - and that seems to get it working correctly. Pushing it all the way is what cause the problems...

Edited by roy1975

2 hours ago, roy1975 said:

Yes, Mayflash. I just plugged it in and booted up a couple of games and it actually does recognize the controller but with a pretty major problem, which is that the analog stick is really messed up. The analog controls are inverted no matter how I configure them and it seems to have issues with the range (Mario runs left but can only walk right, for instance).

Edit: Actually, I just tried something else - only pushing the stick halfway instead of all the way - and that seems to get it working correctly. Pushing it all the way is what cause the problems...

I have gotten disenchanted with Mayflash adapters.  At least with the situation a few years ago.  I remember I bought a ps2 to pc adapter and the driver was messed up.  I winded up buying another brand that worked.  Right now I am gonna try a few from the brand mentioned in the above post.