LaunchBox Community Forums

Latest Launchbox beta detected as Ransomware by Malwarebytes.

NatParable

So I was using the latest beta build of Launchbox which just came out, and was uploading a bunch of games to the database using the "Add Games to DB" plugin combined with the Steam Scraper plugin (both of which i've used for a while now). Uploaded about five or six games over an hour with no issue, when suddenly Launchbox crashed and Malwarebytes claimed it had automatically quarantined ransomware. After restarting my PC to finish the deletion process, turns out the file in question was Launchbox.exe, which is now gone. So yeah, for some reason Malwarebytes thought that Launchbox was ransomware.

Has anyone else had any experiences like this, particularly with the latest beta? I did nothing differently than usual, so i'm really confused as to what cause Malwarebytes to suddenly flip out at Launchbox.

This is weird, because i have malwarebytes and it has never detected launchbox as any kind of virus. You can go into malwarebytes and restore it from the quarantined list and then turn off the real time protection and add it to the excluded list, so it wont be deleted. It might have been some weird glitch with malwarebytes, because launchbox is not a virus.

Malwarebytes deleted it from quarantine as soon as I opened up the main window to see what file was quarantined. I do wonder if maybe the "Add Games to DB" plugin might've set it off, as it works by automating Chrome into doing a bunch of stuff, and maybe I did it too many times in the space of one hour and Malwarebytes thought it was suspicious?

According to Malwarebytes, it was a "Malware.Ransom.Agent.Generic".

The only other thing I can say is that at the exact moment it happened, I had right clicked on Autumn Park Mini Golf in Launchbox and clicked on the Steam scraper to make sure it's info was up to date before adding it to the database. Again, i've used the Steam scraper for a while now and had used it multiple times tonight with no issue.

Unfortunately Malwarebytes has a history of being overzealous. So it's yet another anti-virus program that acts like the boy who cried wolf, and ends up being untrustworthy as a result. My recommendation continues to be just to use the tried and true Windows Defender that comes with Windows, and uninstalling third party virus protection, as most are unnecessary, significantly slow down your system, and cause issues like these.

In this day and age I would rather a program like MBam to be over zealous than risk encrypting an entire drive with ransomware.  Once you have verified that the file in question is "virgin" and not infected just add it to your white list.