LaunchBox Community Forums

Removing Star Ratings from Game Details in BigBox (it's possible in LaunchBox, but not BigBox)

nny

This is a continuation from this thread:

I learned how to get custom fields to show up in big box: disable fields you dislike until they showed up. It seems there's a cut off for # of items that can show based on the theme, so if you disable the higher priority items (eg Platform, Developer, Release Date, etc) then the lower priority items will show (eg Custom Fields). You can disable these fields in BigBoxSettings.xml found in the Data folder until the Custom Fields show up (set their variable to false, eg change to <ShowGamePlatform>false</ShowGamePlatform>).

The problem: There is no setting for star ratings in BigBoxSettings.xml. And that was the main thing I wanted removed. LaunchBox's settings file (Settings.xml found in the same folder) DOES have this setting (ShowDetailStarRating) which does remove star ratings from the right sidebar in LaunchBox (Yah!), but BigBoxSetting.xml does not have that setting (I tried adding the field just in case but it did nothing).

Does anyone know how to get Star Ratings to now show in BigBox? Or, @Jason Carr can we get that setting in BigBox like it is in LaunchBox's setting?

EDIT:

There IS a "remove star ratings" option in Big Box, but I cannot figure out what the XML variable for it is. Can anyone help? And is there a way to disable ONLY community ratings instead of your ratings + community ratings?

EDIT #2:

There IS a <ShowGameStarRating> variable in BigBoxSettings.xml. I'm not sure how I missed it before - it is further down the list, but I somehow missed it when I did a CTRL-F on Rating. I'm keeping this up as a means of information to those who want to show custom fields in big box (disable the higher prioity fields), but this is more or less resolves outside of "can we only disable community ratings instead of all ratings." Or also a way to set our own priorities for field shown

Edited by nny

11 minutes ago, nny said:

This is a continuation from this thread:

I learned how to get custom fields to show up in big box: disable fields you dislike until they showed up. It seems there's a cut off for # of items that can show, so if you disable the higher priority items (eg Platform, Developer, Release Date, etc) then the lower priority items will show (eg Custom Fields). You can disable these fields in BigBoxSettings.xml found in the Data folder until the Custom Fields show up (set their variable to false, eg change to <ShowGamePlatform>false</ShowGamePlatform>).

The problem: There is no setting for star ratings in BigBoxSettings.xml. And that was the main thing I wanted removed. LaunchBox's settings file (Settings.xml found in the same folder) DOES have this setting (ShowDetailStarRating) which does remove star ratings from the right sidebar in LaunchBox (Yah!), but BigBoxSetting.xml does not have that setting (I tried adding the field just in case but it did nothing).

Does anyone know how to get Star Ratings to now show in BigBox? Or, @Jason Carr can we get that setting in BigBox like it is in LaunchBox's setting?

EDIT:

There IS a "remove star ratings" option in Big Box, but I cannot figure out what the XML variable for it is. Can anyone help?

What theme are you using?

Just now, Retro808 said:

What theme are you using?

I've been testing with both Default and CriticalZoneV2. But the theme doesn't matter because it's the BigBoxSettings file being edited. That said, I realized the error of my ways (you responded right as I made my second edit, if you want to read that edit)

7 minutes ago, nny said:

I've been testing with both Default and CriticalZoneV2. But the theme doesn't matter because it's the BigBoxSettings file being edited. That said, I realized the error of my ways (you responded right as I made my second edit, if you want to read that edit)

Glad you found the edit, but themes can matter because a theme developer can choose what metadata is shown. One thing of note is if you try to edit Launchbox's default themes the edits will not stick. It is designed that way to ensure BigBox and Launchbox always have a working theme. You would have to copy the theme and rename it something else. Than any edits you do to it will stick. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up! That's especially pertinent because I started editing the CriticalZoneV2 SLN to allow for less margins and more details to show - so I know to basically make my "own" instead of loading it in its basic form.