LaunchBox Community Forums

In case of a system crash.

missbubbles

I just have a question. Pc's can be unreliable at times. With windows giving updates and an error occurring or a internal hard drive death What would be your advice on the fastest way to recover all of the lost data. I went to zip the launchbox folder to have an archived zip. So no videos or artwork gets corrupted in the future (will take 5hrs to zip with winrar) all I'll do is unzip it and replace the folders. Any other good pointers and tips you could give in saving the set up time in the best possible way. Or did I answer my own question. How would you do it? 

If you've got a 2nd HD then just copy it on to that, I wouldn't go to the trouble of compressing it as it takes quite a while and updating even one file in an archive that size can take a while.

Also you should have secondary backup on a cloud location, like google drive or dropbox.

you also don't have to back up the whole folder if you don't want every thing you really need should be in the data folder. So I just copy that to another PC. The media unless you are using custom images its relatively easy to re-scrape the media and videos again, but that is just how I do it.

I zipped the launchbox folder with all the videos and images and roms inside. So they don't corrupt in the future. Ill just unzip to the new pc. Had the roms on my desktop at first. But changed the paths after. I just learned launchbox is portable. Thats why i was concerned about a hard drive faluire as i thought it installs in your pc. But launchbox installs into its own folder in the users folder. On c drive or were ever you set it to. The total was 250gb. Took 16hrs to zip with winrar. So in the future on any machine just change the roms and emulators paths? And it will work?