LaunchBox Community Forums

Trouble with disc swapping on sega saturn (panzer dragoon saga)

Keev

After a long fight to even get Panzer Dragoon Saga functional on emulation, I finally got it up and running and was able to beat the first disc. However, I've run into a problem with trying to load the second disc. I have the m3u file with all the file names set up, everything was running smoothly until I finished the disc and tried to move to the next one. Whenever I try to run the next disc, it won't read properly. On the Saturn screen where you swap discs, it doesn't read the second disc file as an application, and instead just tries to read two audio tracks—the menu theme and what I assume is cutscene dialogue. The button that says "Start Application" for the first disc now says "Set CD+G Channel". Same goes for the other disc files that aren't disc 1. I'm not sure what is wrong, and if I have to replay the first disc for a third time (had to replay it once due to not using the m3u file the first time around) I'm probably going to go insane.

I'm using the Mednafen emulator to run Panzer through Launchbox, and my roms are from Romhustler, if that helps any. What can I do?

• 2 weeks later...

Got the sticks to work, thank you, but unfortunately I'm not having any luck trying to import my save. It looks like the file formats for retroarch and mednafen's save and sav folders respectively are the same (a conglomeration of BCR, BKR, and SMPC) but simply plopping the mednafen ones in doesnt work, as retroarch doesn't read them as saves.

7 minutes ago, Keev said:

but simply plopping the mednafen ones in doesnt work

That's unfortunate, hopefully the disk swapping works out better for you though. I haven't used it for Saturn but I have used it for some of the computer based systems like the X68000 and it worked nicely.

In testing I can't get disc 1 to switch to disc 2 for some reason if I unload the drive and then load the 2nd disc Saturn screen comes up and says there is no disc loaded after opening the tray and appending the next disc

I just tried this with Enemy Zero using stand alone Mednafen and it works. F8 opens the tray, then F6 inserts the next disk in queue, then F8 again to close the tray, then you have to press the button on the CD control screen to start the next disk.

I also tried it with Panzer Dragoon Saga and it did work even though I do not have a save file. The 2nd disk loaded up fine and said Continue on the screen but of course it asked what save file to use.

Retroarch Saturn disk swapping still might be busted, I was looking at an older thread from 2016 here on the forums and @Zombeaver said it was broken then and it did not work for me when I just tried it. It does work for other systems though.