LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox and BigBox wont start

Guy Kidron

After updating LB to 9.9, both LB and BB will not start.

When I try to open LB, I see the initialization screen for a few seconds, and after that it disappears and nothing happens.

I am running windows 10 pro.

Tried to uninstall and reinstall 9.9 again and I get a strange message:

Unable to execute file:

H:\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe

CreateProcess failed; code 740.

The requested operation requires elevation.

Any ideas?

4 minutes ago, Guy Kidron said:

After updating LB to 9.9, both LB and BB will not start.

When I try to open LB, I see the initialization screen for a few seconds, and after that it disappears and nothing happens.

I am running windows 10 pro.

Tried to uninstall and reinstall 9.9 again and I get a strange message:

Unable to execute file:

H:\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe

CreateProcess failed; code 740.

The requested operation requires elevation.

Any ideas?

Are you running Launchbox as administrator? That message clearly says that it needs elevation, so Windows itself is blocking the launch, we never advise running Launchbox as a admin, if that is in fact what you are doing.

10x neil9000, yes I am running as admin.

Following your remark I changes the security settings of the 9.9 installer and was able to install successfully.

However, LB still only pops the splash for a second in the initialization stage and than dismisses the splash window.

When running the event viewer get some errors related to LB

Any ideas

EventViewer.png

12 minutes ago, Guy Kidron said:

10x neil9000, yes I am running as admin.

Following your remark I changes the security settings of the 9.9 installer and was able to install successfully.

However, LB still only pops the splash for a second in the initialization stage and than dismisses the splash window.

When running the event viewer get some errors related to LB

Any ideas

EventViewer.png

I think that error is either .NET or directx, make sure you have those up to date, both 32 and 64bit versions. Launchbox needs .NET 4.7 or above.

Tried to install both DirectX and .NET latest versions but nothing helps.

I still get the same error; System.TypeLoadException at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.App..ctor()
, DynamicClass.(System.String[]) and Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Program.Main(System.String[])

I am thinking now to try to uninstall LB ver 9.9 and try with LB 9.8.

Can you give me a link to previous versions of LB. I think there could be a reference in 9.9 that is broken...

10x

2 minutes ago, Guy Kidron said:

Can you give me a link to previous versions of LB. I think there could be a reference in 9.9 that is broken...

We dont have links to old installers i'm afraid, as it is always recommended to be on the latest version. I can assure you though that 9.9 works just fine, so this is something that is isolated to your PC. Have you tried downloading the installer again? Maybe the download was corrupted, what is the size of the installer file you have? Also are you using any third party antivirus software that could be blocking the install or deleting files when you run the installer?

Ill pass this thread onto Jason to see if he has any ideas as to your error and what could be causing it.

Thank you the prompt reply.

I totally understand, I also think its an isolated issue.

I did try to reinstall LB a few times. Uninstalling, rebooting and installing again on H: drive.

The installation file size is: 218 MB (228,721,746 bytes) (On disk its 218 MB (228,724,736 bytes))

I will try to uninstall again and this time install LB on a different volume..

I am using McAfee but I disabled file protection and the firewall, so maybe this is not the reason.

Will let you know if it works

OK, So I installed LB on the default path on C: drive and it works just fine.

It has to be something to do with permissions or security as you stated in the beginning.

I will have to dig into this and post the solution for others to read if they have the same problem. 

5 minutes ago, Guy Kidron said:

OK, So I installed LB on the default path on C: drive and it works just fine.

It has to be something to do with permissions or security as you stated in the beginning.

I will have to dig into this and post the solution for others to read if they have the same problem. 

Ok good to know, yeah so it sounds like possible permissions issue, is this a USB drive or a internal? It could be that if it was a USB previously used on a different PC that the other PC has claimed ownership of the drive, which will allow it to be read on other PC's but not writeable.

Got it working finally.

What I ended up doing after installs and uninstalls and setting permissions back and forth was the obvious thing I should have done in the first place. The good old turn it off and on again...

uninstall LB

rename the folder to H:/LaunchBox_old

install LB again at H:/LaunchBox

copy required files to H:/LaunchBox 

Now everything works

Thank you guys for your support.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I have the same problem

The installer goes fine until the DirectX stuff then closes without a message or anything, then if i try to open LaunchBox.exe nothing happens. Launchbox works just fine on another pc i own

My english is pretty bad so sorry for my spelling

Edited by Fmolna
Forgot to add info