LaunchBox Community Forums

How to Sort Games that Fit Two Categories?

Firefairy

I am sorting out my Steam library, and I have some games that are non-VR (default), some that are VR only (still easy), and some that are VR-optional (my issue). I was sorting the first two categories into Platforms of Steam and Steam VR, respectively, but I haven't been able to figure out a way to hard sort the non-VR and only-VR games into separate groups, while allowing the VR-optional games to occupy both groups. I would like my normal Steam group not to include any of the games that absolutely require VR, and when I am looking for VR games, I want to be able to easily find all the games that offer it, as I don't have all that many.

Custom fields look like they might be able to contribute something to the solution, but I haven't figured out any way to have them be relevant in sorting. Not sure what they're actually for, at this point.

Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...

Fair enough. I made a custom field of VR with three values, but that doesn't help much for fields with drop-down options. I am noticing that some games come from the DB tagged with the platform of SCUMMVM, which isn't really optimal, given that as far as I know, no games were originally designed to be played on SCUMMVM, it is just an engine for interpreting games that were made for old enough operating systems that it is hard to get them to run anymore. I am fine with SCUMMVM and DOS both counting as platforms in the modern day, but as only one platform can be listed, I made a "played on" custom field to indicate whether I play an old game on SCUMMVM or DOSBox, that sort of thing.

This is why we need OR descriptors for auto playlists. then you could have 3 tags, Non VR, VR optional, VR required. then you could make an auto playlist with the rules "contains, Non VR OR VR optional" and "VR optional OR VR required". But as it stands now, auto playlist functionality is pretty neutered until we get some real query logic.

5 minutes ago, whoozwah said:

This is why we need OR descriptors for auto playlists. then you could have 3 tags, Non VR, VR optional, VR required. then you could make an auto playlist with the rules "contains, Non VR OR VR optional" and "VR optional OR VR required". But as it stands now, auto playlist functionality is pretty neutered until we get some real query logic.

Neutered is probably a bit harsh since it works fine for a lot of standard playlist building. Sure power users could use more options and Jason could already have this on his table to tackle. Not all things can be built at once when it is just one man developing.