LaunchBox Community Forums

GPD XD and Launchbox

Akis

Hello to all,

This topic is for all GPD XD users who struggle with the Launchbox app.

My biggest problem is that while I install the app normally, when I export my collection to an external SD, launchbox cannot find the games unless they are inside the destination of the app itself. 

This how my external SD looks like

image.thumb.png.8f2708ebc34c8e1104d1d8b2a4bcac7b.pngAny help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks to all and keep up the good work!!

Hey Jason thanks for replying,

I install the app in the main storage of the GPD, then I export my collection as per instructions to my external SD. When I start Launchbox it simply cannot identify where the roms and media is hence there is no platform there to see.

If however I move the media and roms to the main storage under the Launchbox folder it recognises them directly. The problem is that when you have a big collection of roms and media, the main storage is hardly enough that's why I prefer to have them on an external sd. 

Anyone with a GPD can confirm or give advise?

P.S. if you need pics or something let me know

I see. It may be an issue with that old version of Android, sadly. There might not be much I can do. The issue is that Android's security system will only let me access certain storage and certain folders, and it's probably refusing the app access to the SD card. I'll see if there's anything further I can do.

7 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I see. It may be an issue with that old version of Android, sadly. There might not be much I can do. The issue is that Android's security system will only let me access certain storage and certain folders, and it's probably refusing the app access to the SD card. I'll see if there's anything further I can do.

I get it. Hopefully if the Launchbox can scrape the data in the future on it's own and not through the pc tool, maybe this can solve it. But thanks anyway for your efforts man.

7 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

What specific model of GDP XD do you have @Akis? Are they still available for sale?

It's the original one, I have it for like 2 years or even more. I think now for sale is a model similar to this one called GPD XD+, which is more or less the same specs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Akis said:

I get it. Hopefully if the Launchbox can scrape the data in the future on it's own and not through the pc tool, maybe this can solve it. But thanks anyway for your efforts man.

It's the original one, I have it for like 2 years or even more. I think now for sale is a model similar to this one called GPD XD+, which is more or less the same specs.

I'm hesitant to pick up a GPD XD+, because I'm not sure if it would have the same issues. Do you happen to know if it runs the same version of Android?

The GPD XD+ does not use the same version of Android. IIRC the GPD XD, which I also have, runs KitKat 4.4. The GPD identifies itself to windows as a Nexus 5.

The paths, according to my file app, are /storage/sdcard0 for the internal SD card, and /storage/sdcard1 for the external SD card.

I would love to have launchbox accessing both card but am aware the GPD XD is a vintage device.

I'm not sure what version of Android the GPD XD= runs :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, douglasamcintosh said:

The GPD XD+ does not use the same version of Android. IIRC the GPD XD, which I also have, runs KitKat 4.4. The GPD identifies itself to windows as a Nexus 5.

The paths, according to my file app, are /storage/sdcard0 for the internal SD card, and /storage/sdcard1 for the external SD card.

I would love to have launchbox accessing both card but am aware the GPD XD is a vintage device.

I'm not sure what version of Android the GPD XD= runs :(

Thanks for the info @douglasamcintosh. That might help; I can try manually adding /storage/sdcard1 as a possible storage location to see if the app can access it. :)

• Like 2

I just wanted to chime in here to see if I can help.  I'm on the OG GPD XD here and I can access my external sdcard via 2 different paths.  /mnt/external_sd and a symbolic link at /storage/sdcard1.  Could I create another symbolic link to help Launchbox to see my external sdcard?

Edited by Kopesetic

1 hour ago, Kopesetic said:

I just wanted to chime in here to see if I can help.  I'm on the OG GPD XD here and I can access my external sdcard via 2 different paths.  /mnt/external_sd and a symbolic link at /storage/sdcard1.  Could I create another symbolic link to help Launchbox to see my external sdcard?

Not likely. We're using the proper Android API calls for Android to tell us where the storage locations are. However, I think the version of Android on the original GPD XD devices is just too old to support multiple folders being returned. I'll be looking into it soon to see if I can manually check for /storage/sdcard1.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, new member here.

Just an FYI, I tried Launchbox on my GPD XD+, which runs Android 7.0, and the LB app was able to pick up my game exports just fine on my external SD card. So that's great.

But...and it's big but...the export to Android feature on the PC version of LB does not export all files for multi-file games, so for example, about 70% of my Playstation One games do not export properly. This renders the export feature useless to me, and sadly I had to refund the Android app.

1 hour ago, Imacmill said:

Hi all, new member here.

Just an FYI, I tried Launchbox on my GPD XD+, which runs Android 7.0, and the LB app was able to pick up my game exports just fine on my external SD card. So that's great.

But...and it's big but...the export to Android feature on the PC version of LB does not export all files for multi-file games, so for example, about 70% of my Playstation One games do not export properly. This renders the export feature useless to me, and sadly I had to refund the Android app.

All it takes to fix that issue is to manually copy your PS1 ROM files over to the correct folder.

I've got a large collection of games, with only a small subset that I export, and it's a huge undertaking to scroll thru over 5000 files looking for the specific ones I'd need. If I have to do this, then I may as well just stick with my Dig frontend, and manually copy all files.

Edited by Imacmill
Typo

10 hours ago, Imacmill said:

I've got a large collection of games, with only a small subset that I export, and it's a huge undertaking to scroll thru over 5000 files looking for the specific ones I'd need. If I have to do this, then I may as well just stick with my Dig frontend, and manually copy all files.

I'll be improving the exporter in the future to better identify connected files, but that feature will probably never be perfect. If you're looking at bin/cue files though, they should be picked up properly, assuming the bin and the cue are named the same.

Regardless, sorry you're disappointed in it.