LaunchBox Community Forums

Menu Not Highlighting, or Lagging Behind

Sureshoe

Running a decent system - Ryzen 5 w/ RX 580 & 16 GB RAM and FreeSync monitor.  Mame is running like a champ.  Not sure if this could be some weird video configuration or a known issue in Big Box, but here's what happens:

I'll go to the Settings menu to Search or Unlock or Exit, and the highlighted menu will sometimes lag out.  I'll hear the audio "click" as if the menu is moving, and if I press buttons, it will sometimes seem to process it (say if I'm entering my unlock code), but it seems like the visual elements just get behind.  I'm running the Unified Remix theme.  I've experimented a bit with other themes a little, they seemed to do, but I'm going to do more research.

Has anyone else seen this? 

This is a brand new computer, so there's very little on it.  One random, weird note - I was living with it and installed Steam and Dragon's Lair.  Dragon's Lair is very choppy on this box, but on my 5 year old 4th gen i7 w/ very low end AMD GPU, it runs Dragon's Lair super smooth.  When I disabled some freesync/v-sync settings in AMD's drivers for Dragon's Lair, it dramatically helped with the choppiness (although it's still not as good on my much older computer).  So, I'm not sure if there are some setting or configs I'm not looking at that I should. 

Some additional data. I reverted back to Default theme.  Also, I have played around with transitions.  Changing all transitions to random seems to completely break going to the big options menus.  The screens flips or twists away, but the new menu never becomes visible.  

Going to turn off transitions, assuming this fixes it, but I imagine my machine has nite than enough horse power to handle this.  Is there a component I might be missing to aid in this?

This feels like self-therapy.

So I’ve disabled all transitions and the problem is gone.  With this being a new system, I’m wondering if I should be checking DirectX or .Net or something.

i did an AMD driver update.  That didn’t do anything.  I thought I already had the most recent.

10 hours ago, Sureshoe said:

This feels like self-therapy.

So I’ve disabled all transitions and the problem is gone.  With this being a new system, I’m wondering if I should be checking DirectX or .Net or something.

i did an AMD driver update.  That didn’t do anything.  I thought I already had the most recent.

Yeah that isnt normal behaviour at all. I have a similar system, Ryzen 7/16GB ram/ but a GTX 1060, and have never seen that issue. I would deffinately look at updating your drivers and .NET and DirectX, both 32bit and 64bit versions.

So the conspiracy deepens, but I have some answers - but I sorta hate them.

I disabled FreeSync on my monitor (and it ripples thru the driver) and all Big Box problems are solved.  I’ve turned on Unified Redux and all Random transitions and it handled it like a champ.  It also resolved text stuttering in Big Box that I was ignoring as a “Bog Box performance issue”.  Now the text streams seamlessly across the videos, whereas before it was choppy.

I might blame Big Box, but Dragons Lair has this same problem.  So there is something apparently funky about mixing video playback and FreeSync.  I’ve started researching this, but the whole ordeal is cheesing me off since I spent an extra $500 bucks or so to get a FreeSync monitor and video card to enhance the Mame experience.  In fairness, with Enhanced FreeSync, I have no stuttering or tearing.  Excite bike, Turtles in Time intro, etc all play perfect.  

So, I’ll follow up on what I find, but it seems there are AMD issues with video and FreeSync performance.

So AMD let’s you assign different profiles for each executable.  I created a BigBox profile with FreeSync disabled.  It solves the text scrolling jitters and menu lockups.  It also made the transitions seem to work, but not completely.

Launching emulators and quitting back to BigBox would lock up sometimes.  It’s like the transitions get stuck, odd.

At this point, I have all transitions disabled and a No FreeSync BigBox gaming profile setup in AMD.  With 4 or 5 platforms and thousands of games,  videos for all, it runs like a champ, my only trade off is no transitions and a lot of troubleshooting.

So this is probably data worth having for the dev(s) and other troubleshooters in regards to AMD cards, transitions, and FreeSync.  If you are getting locked up menus or failing to come back from a game after game over , disable FreeSync as a troubleshooting step.  Disable transitions as well.

Specifically, this is a RX 580 and Samsung UJ59 monitor.

Edited by Sureshoe