LaunchBox Community Forums

Managing Multiple LaunchBox Installations

Dexll

I have LaunchBox installed on multiple computers (desk, living room, arcade cabinet) and I would like to sync the games library from one computer to the other two.  

Specifically, I want to manage the library, set favorites, hide games, etc. then sync that over to another computer.  

Is there any way to do that easily without upsetting the LB settings, LB controller configs, LB themes, etc. on the other two computers?

Edited by Dexll

I created a similar thread semi-recently, although I was asking about syncing save games/states. I settled on using SyncThing, which, once I got it setup, has been pretty headache-free. Someone else mentioned syncing various aspects of their LaunchBox collection using this program, but I've yet to do anything like that. You might want to give the thread a look, although I don't know if it would cover all your needs (I think the trick would be figuring out which files control the aspects you want to sync).

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any insights here?  I can't do a flat sync between systems, they are too different.  I am starting to think this is not possible.

I only want to sync the platforms, games, and categories, as well as if they are favorites or hidden between two completely different systems.  Systems with very different controls and unique BigBox settings.  For example one is my desk PC with a PS4 controller and an arcade cabinet with Utramarc joystick controller.

Is it possible? 

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Dexll said:

Does anyone have any insights here?  I can't do a flat sync between systems, they are too different.  I am starting to think this is not possible.

I only want to sync the platforms, games, and categories, as well as if they are favorites or hidden between two completely different systems.  Systems with very different controls and unique BigBox settings.  For example one is my desk PC with a PS4 controller and an arcade cabinet with Utramarc joystick controller.

Is it possible? 

Thanks.

Sure, this is possible. I am doing it now between 3 systems. It just depends on what you want to sync over. I use FreeFileSync to pick and choose what files/directories to sync.

Syncing is easy: there are so many apps that do this. The semi-difficult part is understanding what needs to be copied. Get a handle on what is contained in the LaunchBox\Data directory. That is where everything is stored related to settings of LB/BB.