LaunchBox Community Forums

After 10.5 controller input was stuck and stretched frame inside LB program

Bob Benson

This issue is hard to describe. I applied the 10.5 update today. When LB loaded the up key seemed to be stuck causing the part of the frame inside the launchbox window to stretch endlessly when I clicked inside it.

Bigbox is fine.

The stuck key seems to no longer be an issue. But I cannot reset the view inside the regular LB window. Please help.

lb.JPG

Hi guys, sorry for the trouble. Most likely this was caused by a stray game controller of some sort. The easiest thing to do would be to reset the LaunchBox settings by deleting the LaunchBox\Data\Settings.xml file. However, you'll lose your LaunchBox settings that way (you won't lose any data though). Otherwise, you'll have to edit the Settings.xml file to remove the window sizing settings.

I didn't want to delete the settings file afraid of what I might need to recreate. This is on full size replica arcade cab and I have a lot of config to try to make the front end as user friendly as possible.

In any case the problem in the settings file was controlsbarheight. It was at a very high value; I changed it to 3. Still looks like the lb window may be slightly off but its completely usable now. I only use Bigbox anyway and only go into LB for adding games and tweaking my emulator settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem returned today in a big way. I believe this is the first time I went into LB since 10.6.

I'm able to edit controlsbarheight to fix it. But everytime I open there is a stuck input making the program unusable. 

It appears what is stuck is left mouse click. For example on the whats new screen I am unable to click "dont show again". I don't have any game controllers but I have several mouse devices such as a trackball spinner and lightgun. I figured it was the lightgun but disconnecting makes no difference. Also mouse clicks respond fine outside of the LB window. 

Please help. I can't add new games until this is fixed.

So the input that is seems to be stuck is either up or down on keyboard.

I use an arcade xtensions control board which I believe is based on an ipac.

I also use vjoy for most of my steam games to emulate actual joysticks from the keyboard input of the control board. But that is off by default and only comes on for games that use it. 

Any ideas?

@Bob Benson Most likely this is the result of a stray controller or an incorrect controller configuration, and it's also what probably caused the weird stretched frame issue above. Your best bet is to unplug all game controllers attached the system, and then go into the game controller configuration to see what might be wrong. If you have Use All Controllers checked, then that could be the issue.

I turned off enable controller. I don't really have "controllers". I used an arcade control board which essentially is a keyboard emulator. But in order to get 2 players on 1 keyboard in steam fighting games I use vjoy to emulate controllers. I use a batch file to turn vjoy on and off in games that use it.

I think the issue is when vjoy is off the lack of input from this now unplugged controller is causing the up input to be stuck.

Like I said I just turned enable controller off which I can live with. But I had turned it on so that if vjoy was on I could maintain the ability to navigate inside bigbox.

I think I found another similar bug that has creeped in to my complicated and unique setup. In Tekken 7 I wound up using auto hot key to remap a couple kb inputs because 1 of my key buttons is tied to a kb button that was reserved for another function in Tekken. 

Anyway it seems like now after exiting Tekken 7 that auto hot key script is no longer releasing and its causing the buttons to be swapped in other games if I play Tekken 7 first.

22 hours ago, Bob Benson said:

I turned off enable controller. I don't really have "controllers". I used an arcade control board which essentially is a keyboard emulator. But in order to get 2 players on 1 keyboard in steam fighting games I use vjoy to emulate controllers. I use a batch file to turn vjoy on and off in games that use it.

I think the issue is when vjoy is off the lack of input from this now unplugged controller is causing the up input to be stuck.

Like I said I just turned enable controller off which I can live with. But I had turned it on so that if vjoy was on I could maintain the ability to navigate inside bigbox.

I think I found another similar bug that has creeped in to my complicated and unique setup. In Tekken 7 I wound up using auto hot key to remap a couple kb inputs because 1 of my key buttons is tied to a kb button that was reserved for another function in Tekken. 

Anyway it seems like now after exiting Tekken 7 that auto hot key script is no longer releasing and its causing the buttons to be swapped in other games if I play Tekken 7 first.

I see. That's going to be really difficult for me to troubleshoot without any way to test in that specific environment, so I'm not sure if there's really much I can do. I know that connecting and disconnecting real controllers is working properly, so I'm not sure why that would be happening.

On 10/27/2019 at 6:12 PM, Jason Carr said:

I see. That's going to be really difficult for me to troubleshoot without any way to test in that specific environment, so I'm not sure if there's really much I can do. I know that connecting and disconnecting real controllers is working properly, so I'm not sure why that would be happening.

I hadn't used LaunchBox for a while, just upgraded from 10.1 to 10.6 and having the same issue.

It's definitely caused by vJoy.

Setting "UseAllControllers" to False works, but is not the preferred option.

Leaving the option to true, if I disable "vJoy Virtual Joystick" in Windows device manager then everything is fine.  If it re-enable it, LaunchBox detects nonstopping joystick-up movement (only LaunchBox is affected).  The fun part is that windows 10 detects no joystick at all (even with vJoy enabled) so I can't use the built-in GUI option to confirm if windows also detects a stuck "direction up" for this virtual controller.

So the root issue seems to be that LaunchBox is detecting a controller that isn't really considered a controller by Windows.

I used to use "vJoy Device" from Shaul Eizikovich (vjoystick.sourceforge.net) on another computer (replicating a physical controller to 3 virtual ones so I can level up 4 toons at once in Castle Crashers, hehe), but the one causing issues with LaunchBox is named differently "vJoy Virtual Joystick" and is using driver from Headsoft, signed by Ultimarc Limited.  So I believe it was installed by the new I-PAC firmware that now allows hotkey switching between KBD, D-Input and X-Input modes.  This is an Xtension controller Emulator Edition in my case (currently in keyboard mode).

-EDIT- I haven't unplugged anything physically, but somehow the issue seems to be gone now (I could definitely see the issue on/off half an hour ago, when changing UseAllControllers setting or toggling vJoy Virtual Joystick on/off manually, but not anymore), so I guess unless it eventually comes back I won't be able to help any more than this.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got mine fixed. I did a fresh install. But I've been meaning to do one for a while now anyway to clean up some stuff, so it's all good. I had recently moved MAME (and most of my other emulators and roms) to a new external HD I bought, so I had to delete most of my games anyway. That's what i was in the process of doing when I got those weird bars. I'm using my registered version of xpadder as a temporary fix for my second controller now

Edited by LordEvyl
adding some stuff