LaunchBox Community Forums

Dualshock 4 triggers closing games

minimar

I've just purchased and set up BigBox to my liking, but I'm encountering an issue when using the program with my Dualshock 4. If either triggers (the mushy buttons on the back of the controller) are pressed, the game immediately closes. I've searched through the settings and cannot find anywhere where I've enabled this. I have my 'close active window' shortcut set to START+SELECT. 

For some more information about my controller setup, I am using DS4Windows to get my DS4 to function normally, but I was encountering an issue with double inputs when using it with Launchbox, so the program disables itself whenever BigBox is in focus and allows BigBox to take over handling the controller. The program re-enables itself whenever another program is brought into focus (i.e. from Launchbox lauching a game)

This problem does not occur on my xbox one controller, only my DS4 has this issue. When running games without BigBox, this behaviour does not occur.

This is also happening to me in Launchbox. I thought it was when I was using Launchbox and Redream together but it does it with Dolphin aswell. Seems to be when an emulator is open.. if you try and press L2 & R2 repeatedly with only Launchbox open it doesn't close it but if you have an emulator open it will close that Launchbox and for me google chrome aswell.... very strange.

Could do with this being sorted pretty quick as I'm struggling to play racing games

3 minutes ago, DM2_uk said:

This is also happening to me in Launchbox. I thought it was when I was using Launchbox and Redream together but it does it with Dolphin aswell. Seems to be when an emulator is open.. if you try and press L2 & R2 repeatedly with only Launchbox open it doesn't close it but if you have an emulator open it will close that Launchbox and for me google chrome aswell.... very strange.

Could do with this being sorted pretty quick as I'm struggling to play racing games

If anyone is having this issue with Launchbox you can just remove the tick from enable game controllers within the options.. obviously this isn't much use for Big Box but at least I can get back to some racing games.

@minimar:
Question 1. Are you using controllers with or without DS4Ws?
Question 2. Are you using Win 10 or something else?

I would go into BB > options > Controller Mapping, check to see what is in the Exit field. If something is there, you might want to blank it out for testing.

When I set my DS4 controllers up, I had to blank out most everything in there and start from scratch to use them. I have 2 of them working great. Also had them working with older version of DS4Ws but no longer using it at the moment.

Oh yeah, make sure when you select a button to map that you hit <ESC> on the keyboard to default it back to NONE before going on to map the new button to what you wish

Edited by Wanderer189

13 hours ago, Wanderer189 said:

@minimar:
Question 1. Are you using controllers with or without DS4Ws?
Question 2. Are you using Win 10 or something else?

I would go into BB > options > Controller Mapping, check to see what is in the Exit field. If something is there, you might want to blank it out for testing.

When I set my DS4 controllers up, I had to blank out most everything in there and start from scratch to use them. I have 2 of them working great. Also had them working with older version of DS4Ws but no longer using it at the moment.

Oh yeah, make sure when you select a button to map that you hit <ESC> on the keyboard to default it back to NONE before going on to map the new button to what you wish

1:

As I already stated in my post...

I am using DS4Windows to get my DS4 to function normally, but I was encountering an issue with double inputs when using it with Launchbox, so the program disables itself whenever BigBox is in focus and allows BigBox to take over handling the controller. The program re-enables itself whenever another program is brought into focus (i.e. from Launchbox lauching a game)

2:
Yes, currently on Windows 10.

...and, I've made a discovery! 

So, BB has the DS4 mapped incorrectly. What is supposed to be the start buttons on an xbox controller, are the back triggers on a DS4. This isn't how they're meant to work, they're meant to be the same for both controllers.

Is there any way to fix this mapping issue?

Okay, apologies, I've done some more testing, and I've discovered this is not Launchbox's fault. Windows itself has the controller mapped incorrectly. I never noticed this until now, because programs like DS4Windows always corrected the controller themselves. Now I have to figure out how to get the controller mapped normally..

• 2 years later...
6 hours ago, kajunpoon said:

have you find a solution? 

It's been a while and changes are always happening with the various apps trying to control the controllers. Currently, I am using DS4 Windows. I do not have it running at PC boot. I do start it when launching BB. Then I created a couple batch files to "end" or "start" DS4, depending on the platform. For example, I don't want DS4 to run with PS3 games I run in RPCS3, so in the emulator settings for RPCS3, I have this in the running script section:

Run, "D:\Gaming\DS4W Off.bat"

$Esc::
{
WinClose, ahk_exe rpcs3.exe
Run, "D:\Gaming\DS4Windows"
}

$Esc::
{
    WinClose, ahk_exe {{{StartupEXE}}}
}

You can also do exclusions with DS4 to do the same type of things now

You could do something similar to this

Edited by The Papaw

• 1 year later...

Hello All,

A little late to the discussion. I found this thread while searching for a solution for this issue I am also having.

I just found out in my case that this issue is related to LaunchBox itself and not windows. Under Options>Game Controllers > Mappings, it has set by defaults that both triggers (buttons 7 and 8 ) are for game Exit.  I ended up disabling Controller use altogether in LB as I am still setting things up and not ready to start messing with BB at the moment. But thought I should share this as I was getting frustrated with this. 

image.thumb.png.f30bd45fe256ffa3ae4013eafa949384.png

Edited by SelaromGamer