LaunchBox Community Forums

List of all System fullset

Zozio

Hello,

I am a completionnist with actualy a 45Tb hyperspin that i convert to launchbox.

I see the launcbox DB and i wonder if there is a way to know if i have fullset  for each system ? For example for playstation how can i know/have the full list of every game ever published for this system ? so i could complete my collection.

Thx in advance and sorry for my bad english :(

the short answer: from within/using launchbox - no. 

the longer answer:

thats a tall order.  Ive been doing this for a long time and i have "my" best interpretation of a full-set for every platform ive worked with.

Like you, I have ~60TB devoted to emulation (so far).

For me, a full-set is every piece of licensed, physical media released in my region (USA) for a platform up until its EoL date.  Making this happen with 100% accuracy is very close to impossible.   Moreso with some platforms than others.

Your first stop should be a datfile and a software like romcenter or clrmamepro.  This will get you a good chunk of the way there - but a lot of datfiles are missing items if they havent been dumped yet.  The larger/newer/more obscure the platform - the more likely it is to be missing entries.

After that, your pretty much stuck referencing and cross referencing every relevant resource under the sun.  Wiki lists, enthusiast sites, and databases like the lbdb.

This will get you VERY close.   

At that point your up to the mercy of the creator of said resources.  Lets take launchbox database for example.  I have a few discs which were retail releases, and are in various databases as such - including redumps datfiles.   Theyre not included in the lbdb due to being a "special edition" of a game that is already present.

So who's right?  is it 700 games including said disc, or is it 699?  Depends on who you ask.

I better than most, understand the desire to be complete, or finish off a set etc.  Best advice I can give is to be reasonable.  Once i find myself spending an insane amount of time on a few"maybes" and trying to find out if they do in fact, exist.  Or if they should in fact be included or not...   Thats the point its time to move on.

Time is the most valuable resource of all - dont waste TOO much trying to have "every" game for a platform, because if your standards are as strict as mine - it'll end up taking over your life. 

My "set" is roughly 23000 games (only usa releases and only on consoles or handhelds that were released in the usa).   That is spread across about 40 platforms from the oldest being late 70's stuff, up until the current generation.   I imagine, in total across them all - im give or take 100 games or so.  This is made up of things that have no existing good dumps and things that are up for debate on either side of the fence.   Atari is notorious for that, many bootlegs and duplicates of the same game but with a different title.  Pick your battles wisely. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

My collection in LB is 400-ish games, and I have games from a myriad of obscure and some slightly newer systems.

I'm talking Tiger Game.com, 3DS, Wii, Xbox, Watara SuperVision, VTech CreatiVision, Emerson Arcadia 2001, and more.

Edit: I obviously have games on the more well known systems like NES, Genesis, PS1 and stuff like that.

Edited by SonicFan53

• 2 years later...