LaunchBox Community Forums

Hades Canyon NUC8i7HVK

Xyb0t

My Launchbox/BigBox currently is running on an older i3-based NUC with 8GB RAM and Intel HD graphics. It runs really well, kinda :) I was impressed to see it run stuff like PSP and Wii, but it seems to struggle a little sometimes, especially with PS2  games. This makes me wish that i had something more powerful, but still in a form factor that resembles a TV settop box somewhat.

Then i discovered the Hades Canyon and i watched a few vids from ETA Prime where he really seems to like it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWibNuMLTFs). I fell in love instantly ❤️ But now this model is well over a year old, and i wonder how it's holding up? It still seems to be a super expensive solution (especially in my case, since i plan to max out the 32GB RAM and have two 2TB M.2 drives in a RAID0 configuration) So, if there are any Hades Canyon users here, can i ask you a few question?

- Are you still happy with it's performance?
- Did you experience any issues running Launchbox/BigBox?
- How well does it run PCSX2?
- Any emulators / situation that makes it stutter?
- The fans :) Noisy or bearable in a livingroom environment?
- Did you ever find the need to overclock?
- Anything else that i should be aware of?

1 hour ago, Xyb0t said:

- Are you still happy with it's performance?

- Did you experience any issues running Launchbox/BigBox?
- How well does it run PCSX2?
- Any emulators / situation that makes it stutter?
- The fans :) Noisy or bearable in a livingroom environment?
- Did you ever find the need to overclock?
- Anything else that i should be aware of?

When I watched ETA Primes video I was impressed something that I wanted as limited space in my cabinet expensive but in my opinion worth it

Performance still flawless in my experience 

No issues at all with Launchbox/Box I thought there might be but worked straight out of the box

Not Tried that emulator couldn't tell you

Not experienced any stutters from anything Ive thrown at it Mainly been using retroarch for most of my systems though upto ps1 currently

The fans I can barely hear I have it in the cabinet though on occasion I hear abit of noise from it from more intensive stuff thrown at it but nothing very loud but for the most part its quiet as a mouse would say it will be fine in a living room environment more like the noise of a console than a desktop pc

No real need I found to over clock i tried some modern games on it and works like a charm and high settings

None  that I can think of its a great piece of kit really impressed with it so small with many ports on it its amazing how they fit all this in to such a small package

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Here were my thoughts. PCSX2 runs absolutely fine. 

I bought a mini PC, the Hades Canyon, mainly to use with LB.
The Intel NUC Hades Canyon i7-8809G is an Intel NUC Kit with 8th Generation Intel Core Processors and has a Radeon RX Vega M GH graphics (4GB, 8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz) which supports up to 6 displays. Graphics outputs are 2x Mini-DP 1.2, 2x Thunderbolt 3, F+R HDMI 2.0a. 

Other connections like USB are Front: USB3, 2x USB 3.1g2 (Type A and C); Rear: 4x USB3, 2x Thunderbolt3 (USB3.1g2); INT: 2x USB2, 2x USB3, so plenty of them. 

Unfortunately it doesn't come with memory or storage, so I bought that separately, as memory I bought the Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 2.666Mhz DDR4. Storage wise I bought a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD for OS, and a Crucial MX500 1TB (3D NAND, Sata M.2) for games and such. 

Furthermore I'm using an external 5TB for my ROMs collection for LaunchBox, which should be enough. 

o8Hmz5u.jpg