LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox DB API

elJonnyRage

I have a paid version of LaunchBox. I love the software and appreciate all the hard work the devs put in. I'm kind of OCD when it comes to making lists. I like to keep a list of all the games I've beat, when I completed them, publisher, release date etc. so basically my own db, but a poor mans version in a google spreadsheet. I'm a database developer, and I thought it would be fun as a side project and learning opportunity to build a website using a MySql db as the backend to showcase my digital collection. I know this is basically what Launchbox does, but I just wanted to try building my own web version for fun. I realize I could just go through my list and painstakingly fill out all of the game info and build my own database, but it looks like Launchbox already has a great one available for its users. I was wondering if there is any way for me to tap into this DB using some kind of API so that I could take advantage of the information that is already out there? 

Edited by elJonnyRage

Thank you that should work. I figured I might be able to go that route. I just wanted to see if they had a web api for the Launchbox Database that would return Json or XMl. I found this site for the Launchbox DB https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/ and you can search and return game info from it, I just wondered if there was a way to get the information programmatically. Thank you for your response.

Edited by elJonnyRage

I'm not sure if Jason has an API setup for the site, but for all_metadata (vs just what you have on your system[mentioned above]) you also have-at-your-fingertips...

..\LaunchBox\Metadata\Metadata.xml

This (190 MB file) gets updated directly from the LB database.  I believe LaunchBox updates it once every 24 hours.  

To update your local copy, you may need to do a 'download metadata' for a game (or more) so it grabs the most current xml file.