LaunchBox Community Forums

Downloaded bezel project bezels and all bezels are defaulting to the first game I loaded

coreyhustle

I recently got retroarch up and running my Genesis, SNES, PSX, NES games and I downloaded the bezel project bezel packs using the windows downloaded program. Everything downloaded and installed successfully.

When I went into big box mode and ran the first game (Genesis), the bezel was there, proper screen format and sizing. Everything looked good. Closed the game and opened the next game and it had the bezel from the first game. Tried another and the same thing. Switched to NES and loaded a game and it had the same bezel as the first game. All my bezels are defaulting to the first game I loaded. How do I fix this?

It must have saved the overlay to the main config.  I had this happen a bunch when I was trying to do custom overlays for all my handheld systems.  Retroarch would just randomly pick one system and save the overlay as being on in the main config.  Even though I had turned save on exit off, and saved a core override everytime.  It was just a weird glitch type thing.  That meant it would have the previous system's overlay on top of the next system's overlay (e.g., sega saturn bezel on top of the dreamcast bezel; could see both).  So I ended up having to make a good main config that was clear and just a base setting, and make a copy of it so that once I was done saving all the core overrides, I could then delete the original config and rename the copied one back to the main name and it would have clear settings and stop putting a previously saved override on top of the next system I loaded.

Maybe if you just turn save on exit option off you will get lucky and it will not save the previous overlay everytime you exit.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. Well I was able to use the in game menu to change the bezel on each core to a generic system one and then save that to core override settings and now my plan is to go into each of my favorite games and change each one and save to game override. That seemed to do the trick but what a pain. I’m just glad I don’t have to do that for the arcade games which worked straight away.

Edited by coreyhustle

The default 'save on exit' in the default Retroarch seems to cause a lot of issues, including using the bezel packs. In the Facebook group, I always recommend turning that off, then editing the retroarch.cfg file to remove any reference to a default overlay. I wish that setting was set to false as it would save a lot of effort.

12 hours ago, coreyhustle said:

Thanks for your reply. Well I was able to use the in game menu to change the bezel on each core to a generic system one and then save that to core override settings and now my plan is to go into each of my favorite games and change each one and save to game override. That seemed to do the trick but what a pain. I’m just glad I don’t have to do that for the arcade games which worked straight away.

Yeah having to do per game override seems like a pain.  Guess we suffer for it haha.  I still primarily use rocketlauncher for my bezels, but that's just because it's "grandfathered in" to my system as I was already 100% set up with it before launchbox came along.  In that system, you just have to have the correct parameters set in an ini file (which would be the same for every one if you had a uniform set) and put it in a folder with the same naming convention as the games and it will display.  I usually stick to system wide bezels, with the occasional per-game bezel when there is cool artwork that I like.