LaunchBox Community Forums

How to add ScummVm games

triggerthehorizon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Scummvm for android is tricky...now I havent tried launchbox yet but I know android and pretty much how to emulate everything on android...now because many different games have similar named files all games will be in subfolders....inside the game folder will be all the game files for that particular game....what u need to do is make a blank text file ...open the text file and write down the name of the official scummvm shortname it has....I then save the text file the same name as the folder...and for extension it must be .scummvm...so for example for monkey island my folder is named monkey and the scummvm txt file in the folder is named monkey.scummvm...now natively android cannot read within subfolders to launch games like a pc can....so the trick is the database or XML or whatever is used to recognize the game for launchbox each game needs to be done like this example...again monkey is the example....game name=monkey/monkey....if written like this android will look in the folder monkey then look for a file named monkey...and as long as u have rom ext (.scummvm) it will launch with no issues....now the reason why I name the .scummvm file the same as the folder it goes in, is because in notepad++ there is a command that search for anything in the "" and doubles it automatically the way android needs it 2 be...

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

@Jason Carr

I have found a workaround to allow Launchbox to launch ScummVM games by using retroarch ScummVM core!

It requires to manually edit the Scummvm xml and replace the emulator lines by the version of retroarch that is installed and the second line to the RA core of Scummvm  (scummvm_libretro_android.so)

This requires Scummvm games to be added one by one in Launchbox, as there is no folder option import option currently available for Scummvm. This has been tested by me to work and launch games from LB properly under both Android 12 and 13.

Interesting note: this "hack" to use non listed retroarch core only works if the retroarch core in question is already referenced elsewhere by Launchbox, currently the Scummvm core is wrongfully listed under an snes retroarch emulator core (!).  I have tested this hack with retroarch citra core but it fails to populate in Launchbox, most likely because that core is not referenced anywhere else by Launchbox.

Jason, it would be great if Scummvm could be folder imported normally and the retroarch core listed properly under Scummvm emulator category and not Snes. (please add retroarch Citra core too lol)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey, just wanted to get an update on this? This request is four years old at this point. I just renewed my Launchbox for Android license to a permanent to grab the update, expecting that this would have been implemented by now. I feel it should be a priority for development because it's been integrated on the desktop version for many years and so many of the point-and-click adventure games that use SCUMMVM are perfectly suited to a touchscreen interface. Obviously I can run them myself without Launchbox but it would be nice to have them not be an outlier since tying everything together is kind of the whole point.