LaunchBox Community Forums

FIXED - I think I've tried everything and still cannot get Scanlines in Mame

wockawocka

Help. Basically.

I purchased and installed Launchbox with a Mame standalone (0209b 64bit) on my main rig and I get scanlines AOK. In fact, it's all good in that respect.

I then built another computer for my bartop, bought a 750ti to betterthe onboard gpu yet I cannot seem to get the scanlines to work, none of the online ini file tweaks I've seen work. I've tried 4 now without success.

I've tried this with not only the 750ti, but the motherboards onboard gpu as well as a 1660ti.

What I will say I've noticed is when I hit the tiele key ( ` ) to get the pop up menu in game , there is a massive amount of options open to me on the working machines than when I pressed it on the machine I have an issue with.

This problematic build is comprised of parts a few years old ( 5-6 years ) , but I'd be surprised if it was the hardware. I tentatively don't think it's mame as I've tried new installs, copied my working builds over and tried everything that I can think of to rule out things.

I'm now genuinely at a loss at to where to look next. I don't think it's a simple mame.ini fix now :s

Edited by wockawocka

6 hours ago, wockawocka said:

What I will say I've noticed is when I hit the tiele key ( ` ) to get the pop up menu in game , there is a massive amount of options open to me on the working machines than when I pressed it on the machine I have an issue with.

This usually means you have a different video setting. For example if you have the video options set to D3D and hit tilde key it will show way more video options than if you have it set to opengl. If you open Mame on both machines go to configure options and under video look to see what they are both set to. 

Not saying this will fix your issue, just stating this is why you see that difference. 

7 hours ago, Retro808 said:

This usually means you have a different video setting. For example if you have the video options set to D3D and hit tilde key it will show way more video options than if you have it set to opengl. If you open Mame on both machines go to configure options and under video look to see what they are both set to. 

Not saying this will fix your issue, just stating this is why you see that difference. 

Oddly my main rig stopped doing scanlines in one way for no obvious reason just now until (when it was before) I went back to D3D and yep I had noticed different settings gave different results.

Are there any places that mame could be hiding settings that I'm not checking. I've cleared the ini folder out and also removed the main mame in in there a couple of times.

1 hour ago, wockawocka said:

Oddly my main rig stopped doing scanlines in one way for no obvious reason just now until (when it was before) I went back to D3D and yep I had noticed different settings gave different results.

Are there any places that mame could be hiding settings that I'm not checking. I've cleared the ini folder out and also removed the main mame in in there a couple of times.

Is your mame.ini file located in your ini folder or in the root folder where the mame64.exe is?

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

Is your mame.ini file located in your ini folder or in the root folder where the mame64.exe is?

I currently appear to have two, one in a presets folder, another one in the parent directory. Is this right?

Edited by wockawocka

20 minutes ago, wockawocka said:

I currently appear to have two, one in a presets folder, another one in the parent directory.

That might be the issue. Maybe there is a conflict.

From inside Launchbox it will look for the mame.ini to be in the root folder which is where command line mame will place it. Offshoots like MameUI and Arcade64 started putting it in the ini folder. Make sure yours is in the root folder where the mame64.exe is. Remove (I would not delete it, just remove it to somewhere else) the one from the presets folder. 

6 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

A fresh out of the box setup with only enabling hlsl in the mame.ini should just work unless you have something wonky going on like incompatible hardware.

I'm starting to think that, I mean, what else could it be?

Hardware:

Intel 2600k

16gb ram

GTX 750ti (also tried onboard at GTX 1660ti)

Mobo is an Asus P8277V-LX

* Shrugs *

Edited by wockawocka

2 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Well since HLSL is graphics card dependent that shouldn't be an issue with the 750Ti or the on board 1660Ti.

I think it could be some freaking WIndows 10 thing getting in the way. But that's beyond my experience level tbh. It was much easier investigating this stuff on a Win7 machine.

On 1/2/2020 at 10:48 PM, Lordmonkus said:

I doubt it's a Win 10 issue, I have 10 running on 2 machines with different hardware configs and no issues.

So here's an interesting update. I did a fresh format and re-install, I didn't update windows on install like before, only installed mame64 and one rom.

Still no scanlines. So it's hard to believe but I thing it must be something with the motherboard / chip combo but everything tells me that shouldn't be the case.

Edit - I just ordered a new motherboard , Asus A320M and a Ryzen 5 2600X and I'll update accordingly. I am starting to think it's the hardware, two other more modern setups are running scanlines fine except this build. I'm taking comfort in the fact that on paper, it'll be twice as fast.

Edited by wockawocka

FIXED

Ok so I got the new hardware and tbh I'll keep it anyway... but it didn't fix the issue.

What fixed the issue was installing retroarch, which then installed directX 9.

I never even ran Retroarch, I just started mame64 as normal.

Turns out that installation fixed things and I've full scanlines. It has been an extremely painful process, in that I didn't consider other versions of Direct X as Windows 10 comes with the latest version as standard.

Edited by wockawocka

• 1 year later...

WOW, thanks a lot, mine is working again :D

Lucky me I had the DirectX9 downloaded in a "dependencies" folder at my Launchbox,

They had it for download somewhere, at LB site I didn't find now, but it is the "directx_Jun2010_redist" EXE file.
I'm pretty sure at Microsoft site they have it for download if anyone else want it.

• Game On 1

• 1 year later...