LaunchBox Community Forums

Flash screen before Emulator loads?

floodie

Hi Guys - 2 things -  i am building a machine whereby for platforms that require thumb sticks i will use a 360 pad thats hanging off the machine instead of the arcade control panel. Is it possible, when selecting say PS2 for a flash screen to appear using an image i make to say "please pick up the controller" or something along those lines?....

Secondly, is it possible in retroarch for both my ipac (arcade control panel) AND a plugged in xbox pad to both control the games?... Obviously arcades should be played using the control panel but if i loaded megadrive and just happen to want to use the pad would that be possible? 

thanks all

Edited by floodie

45 minutes ago, floodie said:

Hi Guys - 2 things -  i am building a machine whereby for platforms that require thumb sticks i will use a 360 pad thats hanging off the machine instead of the arcade control panel. Is it possible, when selecting say PS2 for a flash screen to appear using an image i make to say "please pick up the controller" or something along those lines?....

It is possible. A Startup theme could be created to pull that image based on Platform Name for the game. It is not a setting you can do, someone would have to edit/create a theme like this. It should be pretty easy one to create if you are just talking about loading an image. 

47 minutes ago, floodie said:

Secondly, is it possible in retroarch for both my ipac (arcade control panel) AND a plugged in xbox pad to both control the games?... Obviously arcades should be played using the control panel but if i loaded megadrive and just happen to want to use the pad would that be possible? 

It is possible as well. You can set controls per game, per core, and more recent updates to Retroarch allows it remember a config per content directory (basically per folder). 

Ah ok, hmm thats a shame, seems like some work. Its just nice when someone who doesnt really know wants to play an n64 game etc it just reminds them to pick up the pad etc

Hmm so i dont need different controls really, just wondering if a pad AND an ipac can be used at the same time, either / or. So lets say i start up Streets of Rage on Megadrive. I use the joystick on the arcade control panel to move axel around the screen, then i decide that i want to grab the pad, would i still be able to control axel with the D-Pad/analgue stick of the pad? Or will i have to come out, go into into retroarcg(or whatever) and swap controls to "pad".. Which of course is annoying

4 hours ago, floodie said:

Hmm so i dont need different controls really, just wondering if a pad AND an ipac can be used at the same time, either / or. So lets say i start up Streets of Rage on Megadrive. I use the joystick on the arcade control panel to move axel around the screen, then i decide that i want to grab the pad, would i still be able to control axel with the D-Pad/analgue stick of the pad? Or will i have to come out, go into into retroarcg(or whatever) and swap controls to "pad".. Which of course is annoying

Yes it can. Retroarch will allow you to map both key and game controller buttons to the same action. I believe the iPac mimics keystrokes so this would be doable. I have the X-arcade controller boards in two of my cabinets and they replicate keys. I can play a game using the arcade controls and immediately pick up the game controller and play in the same game.