LaunchBox Community Forums

Does BigBox have filter dropdown lists?

TobiDS

Hey,

I bought a BigBox 1 year license about two years ago, so I am not aware of the current state.

The reason I didn't renew my license is that I wanted to filter my game library in BigBox by genres and platforms very often, but the filter options of BigBox were really inconvenient.

Instead of a dropdown list of all the genres there were just a text field. And of course I don't have the exact titles of all the genres and platforms in my head, so a dropdown-list would be needed here.

Has there something changed in the meantime? If not, is this planned to be implemented? I would really consider to buy a lifetime licence if it is then :)

Thanks for your support,
Tobi

Hey,

I bought a BigBox 1 year license about two years ago, so I am not aware of the current state.

The reason I didn't renew my license is that I wanted to filter my game library in BigBox by genres and platforms very often, but the filter options of BigBox were really inconvenient.

Instead of a dropdown list of all the genres there were just a text field. And of course I don't have the exact titles of all the genres and platforms in my head, so a dropdown-list would be needed here.

Has there something changed in the meantime? If not, do you know if this is planned to be implemented? I would really consider to buy a lifetime licence if it is then :)

Thanks for your help,
Tobi

This is a small community and sometimes threads can go unanswered. Please do not create duplicate threads if you do not receive an immediate answer. Merged the two.

To actually answer your questions, no. The filter criteria field in the filter view is still a text entry. There has not been a huge request to change that and it is not an item that made the 2019 poll. So for now it is still the same. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 10.21.35 AM.png

• Thanks 1

You can create a playlist for each genre under each platform and then in Big Box instead of using "View Platform" use "View Platform Category". You would then get a menu to select which genre playlist you want for that platform. Also allows you to set graphics for each genre to make it all look pretty. I do this for series in my set up.

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

This is a small community and sometimes threads can go unanswered. Please do not create duplicate threads if you do not receive an immediate answer. Merged the two.

To actually answer your questions, no. The filter criteria field in the filter view is still a text entry. There has not been a huge request to change that and it is not an item that made the 2019 poll. So for now it is still the same. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 10.21.35 AM.png

I created the first one in the technical support forum and figured there are not many people to read it there, so I created it here again.

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

You can create a playlist for each genre under each platform and then in Big Box instead of using "View Platform" use "View Platform Category". You would then get a menu to select which genre playlist you want for that platform. Also allows you to set graphics for each genre to make it all look pretty. I do this for series in my set up.

Thats not exactly my use case. I am a big fan of local coop, so I added a custom entry with numbers of Players for all my games and created playlists for 2 players, 3 players etc.
Now when we are e.g. three people and we go through my library and someone says I want to play a racing game, I want to filter my library easily by all racing games that are playable with three players.

I guess I could view all racing games first and then filter by numbers of players, but I would have to do that for every time we switch the genre, which is quite inconvenient too.

Do you have a different idea how to do that?

18 minutes ago, TobiDS said:

Do you have a different idea how to do that?

Could just make a Playlist under the platform (or above it) for the player count 1+, 2+, 3+, etc and then under that playlist the genre's. I agree it isn't real ideal but is an alternative for you since I'm not sure that filter being a drop down is something that is going to get tackled anytime soon.

4 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Could just make a Playlist under the platform (or above it) for the player count 1+, 2+, 3+, etc and then under that playlist the genre's. I agree it isn't real ideal but is an alternative for you since I'm not sure that filter being a drop down is something that is going to get tackled anytime soon.

Is this possible now? When I had the license you could only add nested playlists to the platform categorys, not to playlists itself.

26 minutes ago, TobiDS said:

Is this possible now? When I had the license you could only add nested playlists to the platform categorys, not to playlists itself.

Yeah you are right, if doing it that way you would set up the upper level as a category, not a playlist. Only the bottom most level is a playlist.