LaunchBox Community Forums

Operating System

NYCSNAKEEYES2

Launchbox should be made into an actual emulator operating system rather than a program by itself. There are other linux based programs that are doing this right now. Launchbox would be left behind except from the ones like me, who love the meta data it provides, and looks of it.

I hope the team at Launchbox sees this and put it into consideration. I would pay for it because of the quality that already is present will for sure be put into something like an operating system.

Thanks for listening!

I don't think you really understand what is being asked here.

First off Launchbox is a commercial product which means Jason makes money off of it. This would mean that Jason would not only have to reprogram Launchbox to run under Linux (or be it's own operating system which is extremely time intensive. This also means that Jason would have to re write many emulators himself which is also extremely time intensive. The reason he would have to do this is because many of the "free" emulators out there are released under a license which prohibits their use in a commercial product.

I know this isn't exactly like what you are asking here but people in the past have asked Jason to fully integrate and include Retroarch / Libretro cores into Launchbox which Jason did look into and asked the Retroarch team for permission to do. The denied this request citing the exact reason above, Launchbox is a commercial product and against the license of many of their cores.

RetroPie can do what they do because it is a 100% free and open source project while Launchbox is not.

20 minutes ago, NYCSNAKEEYES2 said:

Launchbox would be left behind except from the ones like me, who love the meta data it provides, and looks of it.

I think Launchbox not only survives but thrives in the front end scene because of the fact it is a commercial product, Jason can afford to take care of his family and work on it full time. This allows for the quantity and quality of updates which leaves all other front ends behind. If it didn't then people wouldn't be willing to pay 50$ for a lifetime license in a scene filled with other paid and free front ends. Launchbox looks the best and is the easiest to setup and leaves people with their choice of emulators and rom sets to use.

1 hour ago, NYCSNAKEEYES2 said:

Launchbox would be left behind except from the ones like me, who love the meta data it provides, and looks of it.

Yeah I do not think meta data only loving users are keeping Launchbox from being left behind. That's quite a reach there. Launchbox is doing just fine providing a great functional and customizable frontend for those who love playing their emulated systems, arcade roms and pc games. But hey who am I to argue with all the users we see and those constantly sharing, providing feedback, and seeking assistance in our forum, Discord, Reddit, Bitbucket and Youtube page.