LaunchBox Community Forums

Before My Heart Explodes...Can I Get Help With Controllers?

grim.

• I'm having real trouble getting my 6-button controller binded on RetroArch for my Sega Saturn games. I'm gonna focus on this controller even though I've got more to test out.
  • I tried configuring my controls using LaunchBox and there are very few options. It detects "usb gamepad" when I have my cheap Saturn controller and some other thing if I plug my Steam controller.
  • I tried configuring my controls through Steam's Big Picture mode and the 6-button game pad started freaking out and held a button down automatically. I had to Alt+F4 out of the situation.
  • So I decided to configure my controls ONLY through RetroArch with nothing else running:

=====================

• I'm using the "Beetle Saturn" core by the Mednafen team and this is my controller (the Saturn one).
  • I'm configuring the keybinds in the quick menu options while I have Street Fighter Zero 3 running. Although confusing and inconvenient, I am able to remap most of my binds. However, my main problem, and the reason I'm here, is that 3 keys on my controller are not being read by RetroArch. How do I know this?

retroarch.thumb.JPG.d4c1921a16d3103d26439a3c5f0c8213.JPG
I wanted to test all the buttons on my gamepad So I binded them all to make Ryu jump. Then I go in-game and press every button on my controller. Ryu jumps with every button except the two shoulder buttons and X. Immediately, I fear that this new Saturn controller is defective. I install InputMapper hoping to make this all easier somehow.

InputMapper doesn't show my controller on the main menu and I cannot figure out how to add it. Adding Profiles doesn't seem to do anything. When I go to Tools>Windows Game Controller, I finally see my controller as "usb gamepad." I can even test the buttons and I'm relieved to say that all buttons went red on the screen when pressed. My controller is 100% functional. But I don't know how to map the controller on InputMapper. Why is this so damn hard.

inputmapper.thumb.JPG.35199c92ccaeaa51f5599269e5ee37de.JPGinput.JPG.d72b6b821ba271e380fc8cfdc969371a.JPGtest.JPG.0cb89223a56a719458f0ae08b2a35095.JPGCan I at least stop RetroArch from thinking that I plugged in an SNES controller? It's confusing enough dealing with my physical Saturn gamepad and this virtual Retropad, but I still have RetroArch saying that I'm using an SNES controller so NONE of the buttons on the menu are accurate.

==========================
Also, one slightly off-topic question that I hope I don't need to make another thread for: The setup I want is to have my Steam controller plus a console controller for every core. I just want it to be VERY easy for visitors to pick up either controller and be player 1 or 2 JUST like the old console days! Nothing complicated. Is this an impossible task that will make my head burst, or is there an easy explanation of how to do this?

Edited by grim.

I moved this thread to its appropriate forum section, this topic is not  Launchbox issue.

Launchbox has no settings or controls over your controls in emulator, controls are all set up in your emulator, controllers in LB only control LB itself.

You have several layers of potential issues going on here with Steam BigPicture and InputMapper it is hard to know exactly where your issue could be.

I have 2 controllers hooked up to my PC and I have to tell RA what controller I want used with what core and save core overrides. One controller is an Xbox One controller and the other is a Hori FC, both are wired and Xinput.

screenshot_578.thumb.jpg.d4ad22182c7e9d2bba56c6ceaaba078d.jpgscreenshot_580.thumb.jpg.edb463929286873a20408868b9b604f8.jpg

1 hour ago, grim. said:

Also, one slightly off-topic question that I hope I don't need to make another thread for: The setup I want is to have my Steam controller plus a console controller for every core. I just want it to be VERY easy for visitors to pick up either controller and be player 1 or 2 JUST like the old console days! Nothing complicated. Is this an impossible task that will make my head burst, or is there an easy explanation of how to do this?

If your controllers are wireless or you are unplugging controllers and plugging in others there will be issues, this is a known Windows issue and how it assigns IDs to the controllers.