LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox doesn't update on startup

Jurgen

I have Launchbox 10.5 installed and since new updates were released I tried to update using the autoupdate feature. The problem is that I don't get any input from the app that let me know if something is being downloaded or installed. I have "check for updates on startup", "automatically download updates in the background" and "update to beta releases" option checked. Now update 10.10 was released and still nothing happens.

How can I fix the app? (Without reinstalling...) Could we have a dedicated option to manually force the app to check for updates instead?

Thanks!

Hi Jurgen, do you have an expired license by chance? Are you licensed with the premium version?

Newer versions do have an option to check for updates. Worst case scenario, you can always just download the latest version from the site and install over top of your existing folder, and all should work fine. However, if you have an expired license, that would cause your license to stop working, so it would revert to the free version.

Just now, Jurgen said:

I have Launchbox 10.5 installed and since new updates were released I tried to update using the autoupdate feature. The problem is that I don't get any input from the app that let me know if something is being downloaded or installed. I have "check for updates on startup", "automatically download updates in the background" and "update to beta releases" option checked. Now update 10.10 was released and still nothing happens.

How can I fix the app? (Without reinstalling...) Could we have a dedicated option to manually force the app to check for updates instead?

Thanks!

It will be downloading in the background most likely, but you can make sure. Uncheck the download in background and close/re-open launchbox, you should be prompted immediately, that is as long as your license is still active.

7 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Hi Jurgen, do you have an expired license by chance? Are you licensed with the premium version?

Newer versions do have an option to check for updates. Worst case scenario, you can always just download the latest version from the site and install over top of your existing folder, and all should work fine. However, if you have an expired license, that would cause your license to stop working, so it would revert to the free version.

I have a forever license. Good to know about the option to check for updates.

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

It will be downloading in the background most likely, but you can make sure. Uncheck the download in background and close/re-open launchbox, you should be prompted immediately, that is as long as your license is still active.

I've tried checking and unchecking all the update options and never got the message to update on startup (it worked for previous versions, but not anymore).

2 minutes ago, Jurgen said:

I don’t get any messages on startup, checked or unchecked. I’m using windows 10, never had an issue with the firewall in previous Launchbox versions. Anyways, what should I check in the win firewall?

You could, but honestly at this point it may be best to just manually install the 10.10 version from the website, and see if you still have trouble going forward. I don't recall any updating issues with previous versions, but we should probably rule that out.

I couldn't get into the launchbox webpage to download the installer... So I connected to a VPN and the webpage loaded flawlessly...... I then proceeded to open Launchbox while connected to the VPN and voila, the update message appeared. I'm in the US, may the ISP be blocking you for some shady reason?

4 minutes ago, Jurgen said:

I couldn't get into the launchbox webpage to download the installer... So I connected to a VPN and the webpage loaded flawlessly...... I then proceeded to open Launchbox while connected to the VPN and voila, the update message appeared. I'm in the US, may the ISP be blocking you for some shady reason?

Yikes, I have not heard of any ISPs completely blocking us, no. That's not a good thing to hear though. Who is your ISP?

3 minutes ago, Jurgen said:

I've just disabled Windows and router firewalls to double check my devices are not the problem, but the webpage is still blocked, so it must be something external. The ISP is New Visions in Syracuse, NY. At least the forum is not blocked :)

That is pretty messed up, and disappointing to hear. What type of ISP are they? Cable, DSL?

Can you run a traceroute for me? Go to the command prompt in Windows and type this command:

tracert www.launchbox-app.com

If you can copy/paste the output from that here, that might help us get to the bottom of it. :)

5     3 ms     3 ms     2 ms  te0-0-1-1.nr11.b015384-0.syr01.atlas.cogentco.com [38.122.120.73]
  6     3 ms     2 ms     3 ms  te0-7-0-3.rcr21.syr01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.24.14.137]
  7     6 ms     6 ms     5 ms  be3172.ccr21.alb02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.7.141]
  8    10 ms    13 ms    13 ms  be3599.ccr31.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.238]
  9    71 ms    71 ms    71 ms  be2099.ccr41.lon13.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.82.33]
 10    77 ms    81 ms    80 ms  be3382.rcr21.rtm01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.39.218]
 11    78 ms    79 ms    79 ms  149.6.110.90
 12    79 ms    79 ms    79 ms  109.236.95.179
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.

It looks the Netherlands server is timing out

Edited by Jurgen

1 hour ago, Jurgen said:

No problem, thank you for the fast responses. If you think this should be in Troubleshoot instead, please move it, I didn't see that forum earlier and I don't see an option to do it myself.

Sure, I'll move it. I sent it to my web host, and they're asking for your IP address with your host. If you wouldn't mind sending that my way, I'd appreciate it. You can PM it to me for security reasons if you'd rather. They're also asking for the results of an MTR, but that doesn't really look easy to run.