LaunchBox Community Forums

HELP! BIGBOX IS ON A RAMPAGE

PiperCalls

Hi, 

I absolutely love LB/BB, this is the best front end I've personally ever worked with.

So...I took the plunge and built a new PC specifically for LB/BB. BB was running buttery smooth and everything up to PS2 was playing great on the new build. I decided to take advantage of the sales going on and picked up a 4K monitor...that's when things went south...deep south. LB has no probs whatsoever, but BB is very very sluggish/slow now..annoying slow. I've tried everything I can find in the forums but it's just not working right...something is up. Here's what I've tried:

Windows - fully updated

Display drivers - fully updated

Nothing else running in the background

Tried switching between VLC & WMP

Refreshed all images

Force populated all images

Switched dynamic box sizing off

Let it sit for a long time to image cache everything

No improvement on anything.

I built the PC specifically to run BB...it's not a gaming powerhouse but it's no slouch either. And it was running BB perfectly:

Ryzen 5 3400G

16GB DDR4-3000

Windows 10 64-bit

WD SN750 M.2 HDD (OS, LB/BB, Emulators & all Media)

LB/BB 10.10

I have tracked down what is going on I just don't know why...when BB is running my GPU utilization is spiking and staying at 95%-100% the whole time...just running BB, nothing else. And it stays there even BB is just sitting on a platform, game, etc. When I run LB my GPU utilization is at 5% or less. CPU utilization is very low for both LB & BB.

If I fire up a game, any game, even old skool arcade stuff like pacman, my GPU utilization is pegged at 100% the whole time. Somehow BB is now hogging up my GPU and dogging out the system.

Other than a reload I'm not sure what else to try here. I didn't change any settings in LB/BB when moving from the 1080P to 4K monitor...same theme, etc. The only thing I did was nuke all my old artwork and let LB down all the better stuff for the new 4K setup. Somewhere in there LB updated to 10.10 so I'm not sure which of these actions was the culprit.

I'm at a loss, any help is appreciated.

Thanks...Piper

Thx for help Mr.

Interesting...I tried a few other themes to test. So the theme I have been using (RetroFresh) definitely has something wrong with it, The GPU utilization at 85%+ the whole time while using it.

If I switch over to another theme...Default, GPU utilization spikes to 80%+ when moving from platform to platform or game to game but then drops down to negligible once the transition has been made. It looks like 10.10 and RetroFresh don't agree with each other..that's a pity it is the perfect theme for my setup. 

On some of the themes, scrolling from platform to platform or game to game is still clunky...maybe each theme needs to cache images independently? One thing I stated early was incorrect, on any theme (even with RetroFresh)..once launched into a game, BB releases the GPU and the utilization drops down to negligible. 

I guess I'll stay with the default theme for now, maybe whatever is causing the issue will get sorted in a later release.

Note: I did try your Neon Arcade theme (which is a beautiful theme btw) but it was one that would not work for me at all. It was like swimming in peanut butter, unusable. I think maybe I just had too many "things" going on in the options/transitions. I might try to play with the settings on it and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks...Piper

50 minutes ago, PiperCalls said:

Thx for help Mr.

Interesting...I tried a few other themes to test. So the theme I have been using (RetroFresh) definitely has something wrong with it, The GPU utilization at 85%+ the whole time while using it.

If I switch over to another theme...Default, GPU utilization spikes to 80%+ when moving from platform to platform or game to game but then drops down to negligible once the transition has been made. It looks like 10.10 and RetroFresh don't agree with each other..that's a pity it is the perfect theme for my setup. 

On some of the themes, scrolling from platform to platform or game to game is still clunky...maybe each theme needs to cache images independently? One thing I stated early was incorrect, on any theme (even with RetroFresh)..once launched into a game, BB releases the GPU and the utilization drops down to negligible. 

I guess I'll stay with the default theme for now, maybe whatever is causing the issue will get sorted in a later release.

Note: I did try your Neon Arcade theme (which is a beautiful theme btw) but it was one that would not work for me at all. It was like swimming in peanut butter, unusable. I think maybe I just had too many "things" going on in the options/transitions. I might try to play with the settings on it and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks...Piper

Yep thats what I thought and why I asked (thanks!), I noticed a performance drop in 4K when using most views I have in my theme, the game view where the video is inside the cabinet is running without problems but the views with large video (and graphics overlaying the video) are causing problems (jerky scrolling so to speak), I havent tested other themes with large videos though but I think you are safe for the time being using themes/views with smaller video. Turning off all transitions in big box will give a good performance boost as does turning off fan art backgrounds in launchbox image priorities, also let launchbox finish cache your images and use the clean up media option for maximal performance. 

On 2/4/2020 at 5:56 PM, Kevin_Flynn said:

I don't see a dedicated GPU. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the Vega 11 is rated for 4K. Set your resolution to 1080p and see if it's that. A lot of times you need to adjust the response time on your monitor as well, i.e. fast mode.

Hi, yes the Vega 11 does support 4K. It's actually a pretty good APU. In game performance I'm running everything up to PS2 pretty well. I'll throw in a dedicated GPU when I move to PS3, XB360, etc.

I did have to set the monitor refresh rate to 60hz though, it was set at 30hz by default for some reason. I did try going to 1080P but it looks like crap compared to 4K and didn't really help that much. In the end, I was able to go back to the RetroFresh them, there was one transition (the 3D Box art rotating) that was causing the major slowdown. I had to set it to quick swap (or something like that lol) and that sped the scrolling right up. All's good now...thanks...Piper

• Like 1