LaunchBox Community Forums

Introducing myself

Tackett1980

Hello,

My name is Ben and I’m a 40 year old near computer illiterate human person.

I recently modded an Arcade1up with a raspberry pi and got bit by the bug.  Now I’m swapping out the pi for a PC build and LaunchBox...right as I was getting comfortable with retropie.  I’m sure I will have questions as I’m building my library here, so just prepare those eye rolls.  

Im running a dell pooptieplex 3010 i5 with a GT1030 graphics card and 4gb of ram.  Also running a 250gb SSD and a 500gb mech drive.  So far I’m pretty excited it’s a vast improvement over the pi3.  It runs Killer instinct 1 and 2 and primal rage perfectly.  NFL blitz is still a bust but can’t have it all.  

as to why I’m putting all this time and effort into this hardware to cram Into this pos 1up cabinet I can’t tell you other than that’s all the money my resident female financial committee would approve.

Wish me luck people. 

I do have some rando questions that someone may have a quick answer 2.

1:  I got the sega Naomi emulation working in retroarch finally and I’m pretty happy I can finally put mvc2 in my cabinet.  I want to get to the rom test menu, does anyone know how to do it?

2:  I am using mame2003pro with a mame2003 .78 reference set.  It’s strange that I have games in my arcade list after importing them that I don’t even have roms for.  If you go to the list, it points to a zip file that isn’t even there.  For example I have like a hoard of golden tee games listed that I don’t have the roms for.  Does anyone know why this is?

I have one more big question that I’ll likely make a new thread for if I can’t figure it out, but I want to mess around with it a little while longer before I do.

5 hours ago, Tackett1980 said:I do have some rando questions that someone may have a quick answer 2.

1:  I got the sega Naomi emulation working in retroarch finally and I’m pretty happy I can finally put mvc2 in my cabinet.  I want to get to the rom test menu, does anyone know how to do it?

2:  I am using mame2003pro with a mame2003 .78 reference set.  It’s strange that I have games in my arcade list after importing them that I don’t even have roms for.  If you go to the list, it points to a zip file that isn’t even there.  For example I have like a hoard of golden tee games listed that I don’t have the roms for.  Does anyone know why this is?

Welcome to the forum. 

As far as the Naomi question goes I am not 100% confident in this answer as it has been quite a while since I used RA for Naomi, but I think when you launch a game you can go into the RA options and there is a setting to allow “Naomi Service Buttons” that needs to be on and them L3 + R3 gets you to the service menu. 

For the mame thing it sounds like you used the full rom set importer in Launchbox. If so that is why you see all those other games. It is designed to import all working roms from Mame and is based off of the most current Mame. If you do not have a full rom set you will see a ton of games you do not have. Also if you use and out of date rom set and Mame version you may see games that do not work in your setup that do in current Mame versions. 

47 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Welcome to the forum. 

As far as the Naomi question goes I am not 100% confident in this answer as it has been quite a while since I used RA for Naomi, but I think when you launch a game you can go into the RA options and there is a setting to allow “Naomi Service Buttons” that needs to be on and them L3 + R3 gets you to the service menu. 

For the mame thing it sounds like you used the full rom set importer in Launchbox. If so that is why you see all those other games. It is designed to import all working roms from Mame and is based off of the most current Mame. If you do not have a full rom set you will see a ton of games you do not have. Also if you use and out of date rom set and Mame version you may see games that do not work in your setup that do in current Mame versions. 

Thanks for your time.

would it be better to scrap the .78 build and try to build a more modern list?  I used mame2003 since that was what I was familiar with from retropie.

30 minutes ago, Tackett1980 said:

Thanks for your time.

would it be better to scrap the .78 build and try to build a more modern list?  I used mame2003 since that was what I was familiar with from retropie.

Be aware that the more modern MAME sets sometimes don't run some of the roms well as the 0.78, like Killer Instinct 1. I gave up on that rom with my 198 set. KI2 seems to run well though. So, in some cases older rom sets is better, especially when running on lower powered hardware. Thats why RetroPi is on such an old set. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by ItchyRobot

22 minutes ago, ItchyRobot said:

Be aware that the more modern MAME sets sometimes don't run some of the roms well as the 0.78, like Killer Instinct 1. I gave up on that rom with my 198 set. KI2 seems to run well though. So, in some cases older rom sets is better, especially when running on lower powered hardware. Thats why RetroPi is on such an old set. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That's not correct. KI1 runs fine in current sets. Part of the reason Mame is always changing is better dumps of arcade rom data occurs and Mame keeps up by evolving the software to run roms better. Have not had any issues on any of my machines with more modern Mame sets running Killer Instinct 1. 

37 minutes ago, ItchyRobot said:

Nice,

so I wonder what the best way would be to make a decent, functional list?

The one I have now works but it isn’t presentable or user friendly.  The games that I enjoy I have push button launchable.  But if someone comes to play it or the kids get on it there’s a good possibility that they will select something that doesn’t work.  My OCD can’t deal with that.

It’d be nice to have a list of about 500 or so games that just straight up function without me having to go down this giant list individually.

edit:  just read the other reply, so I guess I’m going to just try to build a modern rom set.  The PC should be able to handle it.

That leads to another question.

how do I de-import this list?

edit 2:

sorry, I forgot to say.  There is an option in retro arch to enable the test menu button but it doesn’t tell me what that button is or give me the option to map one.

Edited by Tackett1980

11 minutes ago, Tackett1980 said:

Nice,

so I wonder what the best way would be to make a decent, functional list?

The one I have now works but it isn’t presentable or user friendly.  The games that I enjoy I have push button launchable.  But if someone comes to play it or the kids get on it there’s a good possibility that they will select something that doesn’t work.  My OCD can’t deal with that.

It’d be nice to have a list of about 500 or so games that just straight up function without me having to go down this giant list individually.

edit:  just read the other reply, so I guess I’m going to just try to build a modern rom set.  The PC should be able to handle it.

That leads to another question.

how do I de-import this list?

edit 2:

sorry, I forgot to say.  There is an option in retro arch to enable the test menu button but it doesn’t tell me what that button is or give me the option to map one.

You can just delete all those games. LaunchBox will not delete any media or data you downloaded for the games. When you get your new updated romset and run the importer again it will attach any media you already have.

Speaking of just working that is what the full importer does. It uses Mame's data to only import "working" roms.  As long as it is a good rom set, once you have it working in Mame (meaning you downloaded mame and mapped your rom path to it) and then imported games into LB, the only thing you may need to do is change button mapping to suit your likes.

11 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

You can just delete all those games. LaunchBox will not delete any media or data you downloaded for the games. When you get your new updated romset and run the importer again it will attach any media you already have.

Speaking of just working that is what the full importer does. It uses Mame's data to only import "working" roms.  As long as it is a good rom set, once you have it working in Mame (meaning you downloaded mame and mapped your rom path to it) and then imported games into LB, the only thing you may need to do is change button mapping to suit your likes.

Awesome, I’ll give this a shot when I get off work this evening, thanks.