LaunchBox Community Forums

Ipac 4 only works for player 1

curb

Hello,

So I've been searching everywhere for a solution to this. I decided to ask here because it seems this is a very active and knowledgeable community. I have an Ipac 4 wired up to some buttons and 4 joysticks. So I set inputs for all 4 players through the Retroarch GUI, making sure not to set any keys to ones that are already assigned to other functions. I saved the config and pull up retroarch.cfg to double check, and it has all my binding. I can control Big Box with player one, great, get into a game and I can play with player 1, but not any of the other 3 players. If i open up Notepad all the buttons type out the keys I mapped through Ultimarcs Winipac. So people said make sure not to have another keyboard attached, restart, then plug in iPac 4. still no dice. I turned off auto config in Retroarch to make sure my bindings are not being remapped. I manually save the config and restart. And this may not be related, when I start a game at the bottom is still says configuration override. The Libretro forum has a post of a guy saying that no matter Retroarch will display that and he can play with his Ipac 2.  I'm really having a hell of a time finding anyone with this problem, which tells me I'm probably missing something super obvious. Before I built my cabinet a lot of my research said an iPac 4 was the way to go. Anyone have any suggestions? Would 4 zero delay encoders work easier?

Zero Delay encoders will always be easier as they are seen as individual game pads and not as a keyboard. Now I'm not saying they are better just that it would definitely simplify things. Of course ipacs have other features that zero delay does not. I personally have 2 Zero Delay encoders and they work perfectly fine for my setup.

I don't think having a keyboard attached matters as Retroarch doesn't multi-keyboard support by default. (I have one attached with my iPac Ultimate and no issues ever)

The auto configs shouldn't be changing keyboard mappings you set in retroarch.cfg

So the question is, if you start a system in Retroarch, bring up the Quick Menu and go to Controls and then the Port 2 Controls, are the keyboard mappings you set in retroarch.cfg still showing there or are they blank? 

Well I ordered 4 zero delay encoders and they were delivered today so I setup player 1 and 2 super easy. Then I saw these replies so I connected up 3 joysticks and start/coin/b for players 1, 3, and 4. I restarted the PC, opened big box, launched metal slug, then went into the Retroarch menu. All my bindings are showing as what I set them too, except for player 2, its just --, maybe because I don't have any one that connected to the ipac? I noticed that under User Device Index (3rd down from the top of the player input menu) it says disabled. I have it set to allow 6 players in the main inputs menu.  I start turtles in time, and all the controls...................work.  I connect all 34 buttons and 4 joysticks and they all work. Very strange, the only thing I did differently was connect 2 zero delay encoders and then connected the ipac 4 up again, I even have auto configure disabled.  I'm glad it's working but I wish I knew what the hell the problem was cause I'm giving this cabinet to someone and I don't want it to happen again.  I'm trying to learn all these different software but it almost seems like there is a random factor at play here. On the plus side I have 4 more encoders to use for a bartop!

• 2 weeks later...

you CAN have some issues depending on the keys the IPAC4 is mapped to at times.  Some of the old mame games may not recognize a few of the goofier keys setup as the inputs on the IPAC4, especially on player 3 and player 4 where you start to run out of keys and get a but wackier.

I have had issues with that.  Then, I have had issues where you dont realize the damn thing has duplicates between certain buttons between players.  Up is V for XYZ player but "V" is also assigned to another input on the ipac on another player.

Lastly, the thing I would check is Retroarch itself.  IF you check the two above and confirm thats all good, the last issue I have had with IPAC4 versus Retroarch is that retroarch will not assign the specific key correctly.  I have had the "UP" key assign through the UI as "Keypad8" from the numpad.  I had to get around this by manually changing them in the CFG file itself.  Then everything worked.

Extra lastly, I am assuming you only playing older style games and keeping the IPAC4 in keyboard input mode.  IF you are changing the mode to controllers, all bets are off.