LaunchBox Community Forums

Unique Name vs. Nested Name vs. Sort Title

deadfraggle

So I'm manually adding my uninstalled Epic Launcher titles into LaunchBox. I'd like to create a platform category for them called Epic. In the category creation popup box, what are the 'Nested Name' and 'Sort Title' fields used for?

BTW, is there any official documentation, manual or help files for LaunchBox?

Edit: Perhaps Platform Categories are not what I thought they were.  I created one under 'Windows', but cannot add a game to it. I would definitely RTFM if one existed.

Edited by deadfraggle

No need to manually import. Pull down the beta build, it has an Epic Games import wizard to do it all for you.

To answer the question though those fields mean the following:

Unique Name: This is the name that the playlist is saved as in the back end. It needs to be unique since two files can't have the same name. (ie, "bestofN64")

Nested Name: This is the name the playlist appears as in LaunchBox and Big Box (ie "The Best EVER!")

Sort Title: This is the name used for sorting the playlists by name in LaunchBox and Big Box (ie "000Best", because of COURSE you want the BEST at the TOP)

• Thanks 1

Cool, thanks!  After import, are there automatic filters that allow me to distinguish games on Epic vs. Steam?  I also have a few uninstalled games exclusively on the Uplay (Ubisoft) launcher.

Any insight on what 'platform categories' are actually used for would be appreciated.

11 minutes ago, deadfraggle said:

Cool, thanks!  After import, are there automatic filters that allow me to distinguish games on Epic vs. Steam?  I also have a few uninstalled games exclusively on the Uplay (Ubisoft) launcher.

Any insight on what 'platform categories' are actually used for would be appreciated.

I cannot answer your first question as I have not really imported Steam or Epic games yet.

As far as "platform categories" goes that give you a way to separate platforms into well...categories. You can create any category you want and place any platform or playlist in it. For example a common "category" is "consoles". So in that you can group all console platforms together. Or you can create a "Playlist" category and have that be the only place playlists go. 

Thanks again. I was way off. I need to create a playlist to group games together, not a category.

Can I just install the beta version over the current stable release?  Nevermind, just found the tutorial. :)

EDIT: So to answer my own question, there is no way to sort or filter games by launcher (Steam, Epic , Uplay, etc.). They can be highlighted with badges in the full version, but as far as I can tell, there is no sorting by badge.

Edited by deadfraggle

15 hours ago, deadfraggle said:

So to answer my own question, there is no way to sort or filter games by launcher (Steam, Epic , Uplay, etc.). They can be highlighted with badges in the full version, but as far as I can tell, there is no sorting by badge.

The beta build has this functionality

• Like 1