LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox causing(?) irritating problems

mrpetenorth

OK. I know I'm going to get a load of people telling me this isn't happening but it definitely is.

It began with BigBox, every time I closed it, my wireless mouse wouldn't work and I had to unplug and reattach the USB receiver to get it going again.

However, since yesterday when Launchbox is open, I get periodic (every 20mins or so) User Account Control requests to open a particular program (it was MusicBee, to the point I uninstalled it, now it's another program). Also, my mouse is randomly stopping and my (wireless Logitech) keyboard acts as though the ctrl button is pressed (this is solved by ctrl+alt+del and simply exiting again), but these things ONLY HAPPEN while Launchbox is open.

I can provide any more info you need, but this is very irritating as it happens while I am running emulators too.

Update

Reinstalled MusicBee and moved icons on my taskbar. The program my computer is asking to open uninvited is now Launchbox itself....which is already open of course.

My mouse pointer also periodically jumps from one place on screen to another.

No problems occur with Launchbox closed.

Please help! I've spent days sorting my set up out - must be a setting I've changed or something I've added but I don't see anything that's relevant!

First off. I would run a virus scan as what you are experiencing sounds a lot like malware and not caused by LaunchBox.

The only thing that comes to mind is one user reported that with Controllers enabled and set to scan for all in LaunchBox options it would cause delays and stop the cursor from moving for a second. You could try turning that off if on.

• Like 1

I had Enable Game Controllers checked, but not Use All Attached Controllers. I've unchecked Enable Game Controllers to see what happens, but obvs I do use a controller and I'm pretty sure that's always been checked.

I did a virus scan with Windows Defender last night because it screamed virus to me too. Results were clean and why would it only happen when Launchbox is open (this is definitely the case).

You think I should d/l a better anti-virus software? 

No weird activity since I unchecked Enable Game Controllers......but it's early days......

Defender is usually adequate but if you doubt the results getting trial software wouldn't hurt.

Another thing to check is the drivers for your keyboard and mouse, they may be interacting weirdly with the bluetooth stack and causing issues for you because of it.

I fooled with the drivers last night and nothing helped....but

OK. I have had no issues for a while now. I think it was the controllers business. It was checked, but no controller specified (I use a Xbox One controller connected by USB when needed because I can't seem to get it to stick on BT).  I'll keep it open to see if anything changes.

Forgive my ignorance but can I still use a controller with that unchecked? Can I play games with a controller without the issues returning?

• 2 years later...
On 4/16/2020 at 7:09 AM, mrpetenorth said:

OK. I know I'm going to get a load of people telling me this isn't happening but it definitely is.

It began with BigBox, every time I closed it, my wireless mouse wouldn't work and I had to unplug and reattach the USB receiver to get it going again.

However, since yesterday when Launchbox is open, I get periodic (every 20mins or so) User Account Control requests to open a particular program (it was MusicBee, to the point I uninstalled it, now it's another program). Also, my mouse is randomly stopping and my (wireless Logitech) keyboard acts as though the ctrl button is pressed (this is solved by ctrl+alt+del and simply exiting again), but these things ONLY HAPPEN while Launchbox is open.

I can provide any more info you need, but this is very irritating as it happens while I am running emulators too.

I know this is an old post - but I thought I'd mention I have the exact same problem with usb attached devices, after a while running Launchbox my mouse and keyboard (keyboard especially) don't function properly.    Only occurs after Launchbox has been running for a while, and only fix is to reboot my machine as even unplugging/replugging doesn't seem to fix it when it occurs.   Its difficult to reproduce as it is not predictable what is causing it but it is for sure only when the program is running.

Edited by rodww

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 10:18 PM, rodww said:

I know this is an old post - but I thought I'd mention I have the exact same problem with usb attached devices, after a while running Launchbox my mouse and keyboard (keyboard especially) don't function properly.    Only occurs after Launchbox has been running for a while, and only fix is to reboot my machine as even unplugging/replugging doesn't seem to fix it when it occurs.   Its difficult to reproduce as it is not predictable what is causing it but it is for sure only when the program is running.

Thanks for the reply! I don't even remember posting this, but I don't seem to have the problem anymore. Sadly I can't tell you what I did (if anything) to solve it because I just don't remember!!

Looks like I followed some advice above though?

Edited by mrpetenorth