LaunchBox Community Forums

minor bigbox bug - skipping menu

eustonr

Hi

I dont know if this is the right place to post a bug report - but here goes.

I've just been getting v220 of mame working in my cabinet, and I found an annoying bug in bigbox (v10.14).

When my cabinet boots up it goes to the bigbox "platform" menu. IF you just hit enter there without selecting a different platform from the default thats been highlighted (ie the one used last), it will jump straight into the game menu of the last game you played - instead of going to the game list menu. Hit ESC and you go back to the platform menu - ie, you cant get to the gamelist!! if you then select a different platform (you dont need to go into it) then go back to the initial one and hit ENTER - it then goes into the games list like it should.

I'm using the BARTOP theme, so I dont know if its the theme, or a bigbox "feature".

6 minutes ago, eustonr said:

Hi

I dont know if this is the right place to post a bug report - but here goes.

I've just been getting v220 of mame working in my cabinet, and I found an annoying bug in bigbox (v10.14).

When my cabinet boots up it goes to the bigbox "platform" menu. IF you just hit enter there without selecting a different platform from the default thats been highlighted (ie the one used last), it will jump straight into the game menu of the last game you played - instead of going to the game list menu. Hit ESC and you go back to the platform menu - ie, you cant get to the gamelist!! if you then select a different platform (you dont need to go into it) then go back to the initial one and hit ENTER - it then goes into the games list like it should.

I'm using the BARTOP theme, so I dont know if its the theme, or a bigbox "feature".

Trying a different theme would be the first troubleshooting step so we can eliminate it being a theme issue.

17 hours ago, eustonr said:

Yes, it seems to be the theme. I swapped to "CityHunter2" - and the issue went away. 

Correction - its NOT the theme.

I booted up my arcade this morning with the CityHunter2 theme - same issue. Selecting my SC-3000 machine (default), went straight into the game I was testing yesterday, and I cant get to the game list - same bug.

2 hours ago, eustonr said:

Correction - its NOT the theme.

I booted up my arcade this morning with the CityHunter2 theme - same issue. Selecting my SC-3000 machine (default), went straight into the game I was testing yesterday, and I cant get to the game list - same bug.

Have you checked that some other software isnt interfering, or maybe you have your select button also set to play? ASs it sounds like a double press to me, so pressing it once is actually pressing twice, therefore going into the game list and and pressing again on the game before you see the wheel.

Yes thats what I thought as well. But since it fixes itself after you select a different platform then go back - but NOT when you go into the selected default platform (ie you can go back to the master menu and the fault persists until you select a differnet platform) this indicates to me a bug of some sort.

If it was a double press, then it would happen every time, or you would get a double press when doing a different first action on boot if it was other interfering software. 

17 minutes ago, eustonr said:

Yes thats what I thought as well. But since it fixes itself after you select a different platform then go back - but NOT when you go into the selected default platform (ie you can go back to the master menu and the fault persists until you select a differnet platform) this indicates to me a bug of some sort.

If it was a double press, then it would happen every time, or you would get a double press when doing a different first action on boot if it was other interfering software. 

Is this with a keyboard press or a game controller press (Does your bartop's controls replicate keyboard or gamepad)? Could you try setting the button you use to select to a different button and see if anything changes? If it is a bug the more we can do to upfront the better. Especially if Jason cannot replicate the issue.

My unit uses Ultramac 360 arcade joysticks, as well as a ultimarc mini-pac board for keyboard emulaton - so yes to both.  And I get the condition with both the keyboard AND the joystick buttons.

I just did a test to check for you - it took 3 goes (3 reboots) before I get the issue, so its not everytime. 

I can do a video for you if need me to illustrate it in that state, or provide any config logs thats needed.

One thing thats new that it could be - a few weeks ago I installed Parsec so I can remotely play the games on my cabinet -  and its possible thats the cause. I'll uninstall Parsec and see if I can reproduce the issue and get back to you.

6 minutes ago, eustonr said:

One thing thats new that it could be - a few weeks ago I installed Parsec so I can remotely play the games on my cabinet -  and its possible thats the cause. I'll uninstall Parsec and see if I can reproduce the issue and get back to you.

Nope - its not Parsec. I unloaded and uninstalled Parsec, then got the issue on the 2nd reboot