LaunchBox Community Forums

Any plugin for bigbox\launch box for statistics server?

Hi Everybody!

I just integrated home assistant in my home, and have some statistics about my gaming activity.

Mostly, I have steam integrated with home assistant, I see which game is being played, and some information about my account.db503b4b454b60d82e4d50f565f6c3bdfd2dad85.thumb.png.2a7f10133c650a0409ae1077ee6dadb6.pngb8e87242c099336b3e681525cbd92867c115c77f.thumb.jpeg.ff951b7c8028af2382f968b1dfb2e372.jpeg

This also enables me to gather some overtime statistics like how long I played each game, what hours do I usually play, etc.

Which got me thinking, it would be nice to have some remote access to statistics coming from inside LaunchBox\BigBox!

I thought about writing a plugin that starts up a server (protected by an api key) which will report about the following information:

• Now Playing status showing if a game is launched and some information about it (cover art, name, console, etc.)
  • If attract mode is active or not
  • Top played games\playtime analytics?
  • LaunchBox\BigBox info (version, which mode is launched, total games count, console count, etc.)
  • LaunchBox update availability indicator

Some more advanced things that would be amazing to have but can wait for phase 2:

• Integrate net-play status (hosting a game + showing the game's address), maybe if possible show usernames of currently playing with people
  • Launch a game from afar or exit a game from afar
  • Enable controlling automation of enabling\disabling: attract mode, kiosk mode, some sort of parental control (automation to password protect the machine from a certain hour of the day)

I already started looking into plugin development and will try to see what is possible to change\get data on from there. But I thought I'll share this to get some feedback from more experienced players here, and maybe someone might have some ideas to add to this, or even know of a plugin that already exists that does most\all of this?

I'll be happy to hear what you think!

Thanks,
thatkookooguy

• 1 month later...

Hey, any new updates on this project? I have a setup right now with super cool lights and the last thing I need is some sort of lauchbox/ bigbox MQTT type sensor to make my battlestation complete. When I heard they discontinued voice control years ago, I started looking for an alternative. That's when i ran across Home Assistant. Ideally, there would just be some sort of nagive integration added in at some point, but I know the original creator is probably busy developing other things. Let me know if there's any way I can donate or help contribute to the project. I really think ambient lighting needs to take a step up. Game flags and console catagories via MQTT would be a great start! Extra achievement flags / stats via launchbox or steam would also be nice. Let me know what I can do!

• 5 months later...

I was just thinking about this myself.  I am not nearly savvy enough to develop a plugin on my own though.  I currently have an HA dashboard that shows "Now Playing" info for all of my Fire Sticks, Xbox and Sonos speakers.  Would love to incorporate Launchbox too.  The other thing I was trying to solve was how to get the arcade control information image up an iPad Mini that I could incorporate into my MAME cabinet.  Thought HA might be a reasonable route to go for that too.

• 1 year later...
On 12/2/2020 at 5:13 PM, VMCosco said:

I was just thinking about this myself.  I am not nearly savvy enough to develop a plugin on my own though.  I currently have an HA dashboard that shows "Now Playing" info for all of my Fire Sticks, Xbox and Sonos speakers.  Would love to incorporate Launchbox too.  The other thing I was trying to solve was how to get the arcade control information image up an iPad Mini that I could incorporate into my MAME cabinet.  Thought HA might be a reasonable route to go for that too.

Did you ever made any progress on this?

• 1 year later...
On 7/1/2022 at 2:56 AM, X1pheR said:

Did you ever made any progress on this?

Unfortunately not. Since I never got an answer on how to get the statistics from launchbox.

But will try again soon hopefully since I'm learning this xmls structure anyway for another project. But a straight answer on where the statistics can be found will be very appreciated 😃 will leave a lot of the guest work out if the process.

4 minutes ago, thatkookooguy said:

Unfortunately not. Since I never got an answer on how to get the statistics from launchbox.

All the data you're asking for could be read via the XML files (while LaunchBox is off) or be grabbed via a LaunchBox plugin. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.