LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezel question

skunkworks005

So I have been updating my bezels with the mame games I enjoy playing and I have run into a couple that will not display bezels. Im very sure this might be a mame issue as they do not display when I try to run them from Mame exe. One for example is punchout will not display a bezel. I have a folder called punchout under D:\launchbox\mame\artwork and the lay file looks correct and the bezel png named punchout in the artwork folder like all the other working bezels. I also took a folder say galaga which works and renamed it as punchout to see if it would show the galaga bezel and no galaga images appeared when running puchout so I dont think it is a lay issue or syntak or the galaga image bezel should of appeared. so not sure where to look at this point. I posted a question in mame forms but no responses.  Has anyone else run into this and what was the solution inside mame. Just started using this about a month ago so very much a noob but I do understand how to read lay files. I do have the bezel project installed and Im aware that if the name png file is not there it defaults to a hortizontal or vertical and even that does not happen for punchout its just black on both sides.

If you hit TAB key to get into the MAME menu, go to the Videos option, are the layouts listed there? 

I think punchout by default uses the layout to put both screens on one screen, so in actuality is working. Using the galaga one doesn't change anything because some layouts are compiled into MAME, and it's using that,

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, AlabasterSlim said:

When I switch to Bezel the screen only shows the top screen now.  How did you get it to show both screens and the bezel?

You have to find someone who has created a layout file that has a bezel and both screens already, or create one yourself. 

Edited by Headrush69

• 1 year later...

I found a work around on this if anyone is still trying to figure it out. With punch out having two screens - one on top of the other - the bezel does not load as it is only able to load to a single screen. After writing new lay files several times over several weeks trying to get it to work..... I have no clue what I'm doing, seriously. I finally determined that the only way I was going to get the bezel to work on punch out was to split the bezel on the horizontal and have the lay file add one bezel to each screen. You can see in the lay file that one bezel is named "Bezel" and the other "Bezel1" and that I have it set for two screens. Copy and past this code into your lay file found in your mame emulator folder under artwork, inside the folder called "punchout". Further you will need to accurately crop your bezel of choice and name each appropriately, then copy those to the same punchout artwork folder. I'd share my cropped bezel but they are custom for my arcade machine. 

<mamelayout version="2">

<element name="bezel_top">
        <image file="bezel.png" />
    </element>
    <element name="bezel_bottom">
        <image file="bezel1.png" />
    </element>

<view name="Bezel Artwork For Over-Under Screens">
        <screen index="0">
            <bounds left="2" top="0" right="14" bottom="4.5" />
        </screen>
        <bezel element="bezel_bottom">
            <bounds left="0" top="0" right="16" bottom="4.5" />
        </bezel>

<screen index="1">
            <bounds left="2" top="4.5" right="14" bottom="9" />
        </screen>
        <bezel element="bezel_top">
            <bounds left="0" top="4.5" right="16" bottom="9" />
        </bezel>
    </view>

</mamelayout>

I thought others could use this fix! Happy Gaming!