LaunchBox Community Forums

Updating CHD

mcfilmmakers

I'm new to updating CHDs... I'm going from MAME 220 to MAME 221. 

I know that clrmamepro doesn't pdate CHDs per se... is it really jsut a question of drag and dropping the update pack into my MAME roms folder?

All the youtube videos completely ignore CHD updating so I have no idea if I'm doing this right... do i scan CHDs as merged or split? Does it matter?

the only CHD packs available are merged but weirdly the update packs are packaged as split. So if you grab the update pack and just drop it in the folder which you can basically do for CHD because the file is just one file the only issue is then now your set can be mixed between mostly merged with a few split. I personally use Torrencheck see what files aren't in the old set (its never more than a handful) then I get the whole torrent but only download the files I need. If you do it like that make sure you don't download the torrent to you existing folder or it will take all the games you aren't downloading and append a weird file extension to them. I download the update to a update folder then copy the files to my existing folder when its finished. You can also opt to download the whole torrent and let it check all the files then it will just download the missing files after the check is complete the reason I don't do it that way is it takes for ever for it to hash check a 500GB torrent. I know some people like CLRMAMEPro but it is totally unnecessary and over complex compared to using TorrentCheck.

http://forum.pleasuredome.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=34760

here is text to the link to Torrentcheck