LaunchBox Community Forums

Strange behavior downloading Media from Emumovies (?)

NightShadowPT

Hi,

As I was importing my Neo Geo roms, I noticed a strange behavior while downloading media from Emumovies that I would like to discuss with you to understand if I'ts a bug or I'm just doing it wrong...

It goes like this:

I am importing all my Neo Geo games and adding it to the platform "SNK Neo Geo MVS".

When I try to download media (images and videos) from EmuMovies, it tells me the game was not found (happens with all the games).

And yes, my games have been correctly identified in the Launchbox database (I have the Launchbox DB ID in the proper place).

Being Neo Geo games, I found this very strange and decided to try some things out and see if it fixed the problem.

I have found out that to download the videos I have to change the platform to "Arcade" and click on download media. But this seems like a very strange behavior from the scrapper.

Is this normal?

7 hours ago, NightShadowPT said:

Hi,

As I was importing my Neo Geo roms, I noticed a strange behavior while downloading media from Emumovies that I would like to discuss with you to understand if I'ts a bug or I'm just doing it wrong...

It goes like this:

I am importing all my Neo Geo games and adding it to the platform "SNK Neo Geo MVS".

When I try to download media (images and videos) from EmuMovies, it tells me the game was not found (happens with all the games).

And yes, my games have been correctly identified in the Launchbox database (I have the Launchbox DB ID in the proper place).

Being Neo Geo games, I found this very strange and decided to try some things out and see if it fixed the problem.

I have found out that to download the videos I have to change the platform to "Arcade" and click on download media. But this seems like a very strange behavior from the scrapper.

Is this normal?

What do you have your scrape as field set to for your SNK Neo Geo MVS platform?

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 6.52.19 AM.png

49 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Odd how? It IS a Arcade system, so that is how it should be scraped.

Because it is also it's own system?

Also, shouldn't the Scrapper search for other close matches if it does not find it in the "right" category? (maybe there is a good reason why it doesn't, but I don't know)

Just now, NightShadowPT said:

Because it is also it's own system?

Also, shouldn't the Scrapper search for other close matches if it does not find it in the "right" category? (maybe there is a good reason why it doesn't, but I don't know)

It's not a system though, it's a Arcade board, no different to any other Arcade game so is scraped under Arcade. You wouldnt expect to your NES platform to scrape SNES games as they are both Nintendo right? Same idea here. The scraper only scrapes the platform you specify, this is a conscious decision as to avoid mis-matching games. If the scraper took every platform into account a large proportion of your games would be incorrectly scraped. Once imported the scraper is less strict, but still sticks to the platform YOU specified it was.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

It's not a system though, it's a Arcade board, no different to any other Arcade game so is scraped under Arcade. You wouldnt expect to your NES platform to scrape SNES games as they are both Nintendo right? Same idea here. The scraper only scrapes the platform you specify, this is a conscious decision as to avoid mis-matching games. If the scraper took every platform into account a large proportion of your games would be incorrectly scraped. Once imported the scraper is less strict, but still sticks to the platform YOU specified it was.

I see...

But I would still argue that if it didn't find any game, it could search for the same name in other platforms. At least posters, clear logos and instructions could be used.

Anyway, it's clear this is the behavior by design.

Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers!

10 minutes ago, NightShadowPT said:

But I would still argue that if it didn't find any game, it could search for the same name in other platforms.

The problem there is that other systems have completely different games that have the same name. You will likely end up with a ton of ZX Spectrum or C64 games as they have HUGE library's with games with identical names to more "famous" games from other systems. I mean it still happens with new games, Resident Evil 2 Remake for example, that will often get scraped as the original game as the name is the same, but the remake really is a different game to the original.

At the end of the day its easier to fix a few incorrect matches after a import than to have to correct nearly all of them due to wrong games/platforms details being scraped.

9 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

The problem there is that other systems have completely different games that have the same name. You will likely end up with a ton of ZX Spectrum or C64 games as they have HUGE library's with games with identical names to more "famous" games from other systems. I mean it still happens with new games, Resident Evil 2 Remake for example, that will often get scraped as the original game as the name is the same, but the remake really is a different game to the original.

At the end of the day its easier to fix a few incorrect matches after a import than to have to correct nearly all of them due to wrong games/platforms details being scraped.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Thanks.