LaunchBox Community Forums

Sorry if this has been asked (Controller configs Retroarch)

WhiskeyBruh

Ive looked and searched all over and must have missed it but how do you save a controller configuration in Retroarch?

Like, I have a Sony Playstation config, then a Sega Dreamcast config. It just seems to keep the last one I set. I see the option to save, but no option to load it up.

This isn't specifically a Launchbox isssue, but I figured I'd ask here. Sorry.

You dont set them globally in the main UI. You need to load a game in the core you want to set, then hit F1 to get into the quick menu, there is a "Controls" option in here which will only apply to the loaded core. So set your controls then back up a screen, where you will have the choices to save either core/content/global or game remaps.

The "Quick Menu" is always used for core specific settings, you can also though back up into the main UI and adjust other things, but you must then return to the quick menu and save a override, either core/content directory/global or game. 

Just now, WhiskeyBruh said:

Thanks so much. I was actually looking for the quick menu and had no idea how to get to it. That answers a lot.

By default its either F1 or the guide button on a xbox controller, you can however change it to whatever you want in the global settings/input/hotkeys section.

Ok Ive found the quick menu, but it doesn't let you just bind the buttons by pressing them. You have to select them one by one by pressing left or right on the pad.

Then, if I close the quick menu and try to reopen it it turns into the normal menu where you can't save individual game settings. 

I've learned importing games but setting up controllers is just so difficult.

1 minute ago, WhiskeyBruh said:

Ok Ive found the quick menu, but it doesn't let you just bind the buttons by pressing them

Correct, its setup per your global settings, so it already knows what buttons you have, so you just swap them around if needed. Personally the only core i even change is N64 everything else i leave as is, but each to there own.

2 minutes ago, WhiskeyBruh said:

Then, if I close the quick menu and try to reopen it it turns into the normal menu where you can't save individual game settings. 

You use the same button to close it as you use to open it, no more difficult than that, you should be saving your remap before you close retroarch though.

Just set your controls here.

93049856_RetroArchScreenshot2020_06.12-22_53_10_24.thumb.png.08eff84e5c45440785ed255c4b21a925.png2042621890_RetroArchScreenshot2020_06.12-22_53_15_55.thumb.png.7463afc82b73ff61c032326a431b9649.png804607504_RetroArchScreenshot2020_06.12-22_53_21_93.thumb.png.795d02d1cc32c0d2d7e5b302d2f99fe4.pngThen backup one level to here and save.

1019954718_RetroArchScreenshot2020_06.12-22_53.28_06.thumb.png.e4297e993c741753a851270c9f2c69da.png

• Like 1

You have to remember in Retroarch everything is mapped to a “virtual” Retropad, which includes analog sticks.

If your controller doesn’t have them, just leave them un-set. N64 without analog might not be so great though.

Edit: Oops, it was Neil9000 that mentioned N64.

Edited by Headrush69
  • Like 1

Yeah, just figured it out. So if anyone else has this issue, like Headrush said, from the main overall menu, you set up your controller and the overall keybinds, then once you get into game, you use the quickmenu to move stuff around, like neil said.

I was overcomplicating it.